5: Kongpob & Arthit

+1. Arthit and Kongpob

The waves are lapping gently against the sand and Arthit feels like he's being lulled to sleep by the sound. The beer in his hand is in danger of sliding through his fingers as condensation dribbles down the side of the glass, but still he sits.

He should be with the rest, up at the tables, eating and playing drinking games, joining in with the celebrations with their seniors.

He's not.

He's here, on the beach, mind ticking over and over through the events of the night and how excited his junior's had been to receive their gears and how thrilled they had been with the party and everything that went with it.

In a way, he's so glad that the hazing is almost at an end, in another way, he's sad. It had been a lot of hard work, training and organising for every event and he wishes they could have lasted a little longer.

But then the thorn in his side plonks himself down on the bench beside him, naked knee knocking against Arthit's and making him shiver.

"Kongpob?"

"Yes Phi?"

"I thought we were.."

"Going to wait til everyone went to sleep and then meet on the beach for a sordid make out session?" His junior supplies and Arthit feels his cheeks and ears heat up and he elbows him hard making Kongpob wince.

"Sorry.." Arthit says immediately and lets his hand touch and stroke where he hurt him, "I didn't mean that. I'm sorry, just.. not so loud and not so.."

"Honest?" Kongpob asks and lifts his head, his grin back in place even though it must have hurt.

"Yeah," Arthit agrees and slides a little closer so their whole sides are pressed together. "Sorry. I'm not ready yet."

"I know," Kongpob says and his smile widens, "And I said, I'll wait. We couldn't have admitted it before tonight, anyway."

"No. That's true, I was still your head hazer."

"It's not midnight yet, nor the end of the trip, I think you still are," Kongpob whispers and something spreads through Arthit's chest like sunlight on a warm day.

"I guess." He manages to breathe out and sees that Kongpob knows how much he's affected him.

His junior slides away and gives him space, offering him his fresh cup of soda which Arthit takes and gulps down, relishing the way it cools his head and chest. "Thanks."

"No problem, Phi. Look.. I need to be honest." Arthit tilts his head and Kongpob goes on, "I've been kind of desperate for this night to come for a couple of reasons. Yes, maybe so that we can have a sneaky kiss on the beach," Arthit raises an eyebrow but smiles, "But also because I wanted to do this."

Kongpob holds out his hand and motions for Arthit to do the same. Then he drops something golden and metal into Arthit's fingers and he grasps it automatically.

"It's your gear." He says, stunned and Kongpob nods.

"Yes, I want you to have it. No, actually, I really need you to have it, P'Arthit."

"But it's your gear.." Arthit repeats, confusion etched into his skin, "I just gave you this?"

"But I need you to care for it, for me, Phi."

Arthit gives him a strained look, still confused, he lowers his voice "Truly, this is going to be like the lube incident all over again, Kong. Explain it."

Kongpob shifts on the bench, "You don't know the meaning of the gear, Phi?"

Arthit frowns, "Clearly not the meaning you intend."

Kongpob shakes his head, "It's embarrassing if I tell you, I thought you knew already, being head hazer and all?"

"Kongpob!" Arthit hisses, "Just tell me, okay?"

Kongpob frowns too, "This is definitely going to be like the lube incident all over again, Phi." He shuffles a little closer and lowers his voice, "It's my heart, Phi Ai'Oon."

The intimacy and the choice of his nickname does something to Arthit's heart and it starts to leap in his chest, thumping in his ears, a rhythmic thud. "What do you mean?"

Kongpob chances a glance around them and seeing they are alone, reaches out for Arthit's hand and clutches it to his chest, right over his heart, "The gear represents the heart of engineering students, that gear represents my heart, Phi. And I want you.. I want you to care for it. Please? Will you?"

Arthit curls his fingers around Kongpob's, "Does this mean we're not just fooling around?" He asks, a little dazed.

"Yes." Kongpob says firmly and Arthit can't help the smile that curls onto his face.

"Oh." He says and then, "Okay then. I'll find mine to give to you."

Kongpob's dazzling grin fills the beach with light and Arthit wants to lean in and kiss it off his face, but when he looks up, he sees the table full of his hazer friends, studiously not looking at the pair of them. So instead, he squeezes Kongpob's hand and whispers, "Midnight, here." And then climbs to his feet and shoots him a final smile, "Set your alarm, Kongpob."

"I'm not the one who sleeps in," Kongpob replies cheekily and then swats at him as Arthit aims a punch at his shoulder, "Midnight Ai'Oon," he whispers, and then Arthit melts away and Kongpob looks out at the lapping waves and smiles and clutches his chest over his heart.

The End