Chapter 39. The rightful owner of the promise

Start from the beginning

Those who would think that she had lost all of her influence in the business world when her son took over, would be gravely mistaken. Her power hadn't dented in the slightest. So pretty much everyone in the industry still feared Victoria Black, and respected her even more.

Zane, as her son, of course knew his mother's traits and her way of dealing with things that went past her bottom line. He had known she would take attitude against Davis, since he had talked with Malcom the last time in the hospital. In fact this was why he had eased up his methods to block Davis's path. It was unnecessary for the two of them to use the same methods, after all.

But though Zane knew his mother was fierce to outsiders in matters that concerned him, a fact proven by her unconditional trust in his decision to cut ties with Davis,  and her consequent actions. He wasn't sure about how she would react in private with Aria. He feared her bluntness and somber nature might scare his petite wife.

Though he was disregarding the fact that he was also just like his mother in this department, being ice cold and truly uncaring towards Aria from the first moment she had woken, up until two weeks had passed since then, so as far as his mother's personality was concerned, Zane might have really had a point on this assumption.

Victoria was one who protected her family in public, maintaining Aria's honor as a daughter in law of the Black family, because she was not one who washed her dirty laundry in public. But in private, his mother might really say something that could hurt Aria, even though Victoria was made aware of her lost memory.

After all, his mother and Aria hadn't discussed much with one another in the past. In fact, he couldn't even remember when they had a proper conversation with one another, if they ever had. 

One should not think that if she had allowed the marriage between Aria and Zane it meant that she approved of Aria as his wife, because in all honesty she never had. If she had approved of Aria, she wouldn't have kept quiet about Zane's and Aria's separate living arrangements. And though her personality was usually quite cold, she would have still cared about Aria more than she had, especially since she knew of her accident. She wouldn't have only asked about the state of the twins in her womb when she had called at that time, or ordered a paternity test either, for that matter.

In reality Victoria only allowed the marriage because she respected too much old master Langdon, the friend of her father, and at the same time the father of her best friend, Eliza Langdon. If she had promised the old master Langdon she would accept Aria in her family then she would certainly fulfill it, even without the presence of the elder.

As such, Zane was quite worried as he was urgently climbing the stairs of the mansion. His speed did not decline at all, up until he was standing in front of the opened living room's door, and could see with his own eyes the two women.

'No, I am alright and there is also no visible problem with the pregnancy. The doctor says that they are both healthy, though they are a bit smaller than they should be at this time of the pregnancy.' Aria replied slowly, with a small smile adorning her face as she was talking about her pregnancy.

No matter what worries took most of her heart, no matter what sad emotions reflected on her face, while speaking of the two boys her face was still bright enough. You could clearly feel the tenderness of an expectant mother. It was not a complete happiness like before, but it was still distinguishable amongst the more evident melancholic features of her expression.

'That's to be expected. With the coma, it's already a miracle they are both still well.' Victoria remarked as expressionless as ever, then feeling a pair of eyes on her,  directed her gaze towards the mahogany double door that led to the hallway.