Stealing myself, I desperately tried to calm my nerves.

When I was called just a short twenty minutes ago, I was told it was an emergency.

I rushed through the traffic of Gotham, praying that nothing would get in my way, say a deranged man or woman in a stylish mask. 

Absently I brushed and smoothed out my hair and clothing.

Eilis was enrolled in a prestigious high-end private school on a scholarship.

The scholarship basically stated that Eilis was to float through the school like a ghost, unable to leave his mark. Not a scratch on his record, perfect grades, and absolutely no trouble making.

Which is what made this whole ordeal so nerve-wracking.

As I walked into the principal's grand office I zeroed in on Eilis, sitting on a black leather seat with his left wrist cuffed to the arm.

Memories of when I first met him came stuttering back, his black and blue face, bloody knuckles, and jaded eyes forced to the forefront of my mind.

Rushing to him I pulled on the chain of the cuff. 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? Uncuff him this instant!” I shouted, glaring at the policewoman in the back.

The woman raised a brow but made no movement to follow my demand.

Eilis was speaking, but I couldn’t hear him over the blood rushing in my ears.

Insistently I tugged on the chain.

“Chaining him up like some kind of criminal? Fuck you and your fucking school you piece of-”

“Hey! (Y/N), it’s okay. I’m fine.” Eilis grabbed my wrist and held it steady, locking eyes with me.

Instead of the cold fury that had once burned so brightly within his charcoal eyes, Eilis gazed at me gently, remorsefully.

Shaking my head I let go of his wrist and instead took his face within my hands, investigating each bruise and the source of the dried blood.

“Why hasn’t anyone gotten him ice? What is wrong with you people?” I fretted, trying to wipe away some of the blood. Eilis batted my hands away. 

“(Y/N), stop it! Just sit down for fuck’s sake!” He glared at me, but there was no heat behind it, only a curling fear.

Running my fingers through his hair I kissed his forehead once before looking around.

The boy on the other side of the room had a cut lip and a bruise forming on his porcelain skin, his green eyes were electric with a sizzling rage.

Clenching my fingers I forced myself to take a breath and sit down next to Eilis, taking his hand.

He held mine steady, comforting but hesitant. I squeezed his hand. He didn’t return the gesture. 

“Miss (L/N). I’m glad you could make it.” Mr. Darco said, as I finally looked at him.

He was a short and stubby man, his hair thinning and his eyes pretentious. His voice has a certain snip to it that caused my hair to raise.

“Mr. Wayne and I have been waiting long enough. Certainly, you agree we get this over with?” 

I bit my lip, feeling my blood begin to sizzle, and glanced over at Mr. Wayne, the famous billionaire of Gotham City.

Many rumors were surrounding him, about his personality and aspirations.