Leofric shook his head, "No, she is Alfreds. It's why she isn't here." Leofric held a long frown as he spoke. "It was for the best in the end. Aelswith would have been murderous and I think we all knew once the raids started that if Aethelred should fall, it was Alfred who would be king." Leofric explained.

"I don't know how it is among your people or the Danes, but the life of a royal bastard is a hard cruel one, even if a little girl," he added. Khaana sat still afraid to ask her next question, in the silence, Leofric glanced at her and roared with laughter. "I've never seen someone look both murderous and seasick. all at once, the girl is alive." Leofric's amusement was clear as Khaana exhaled.

She covered her face behind her hands, "You laugh, but you do not realize how close to death you and your king were in that moment." she muffled between her hands. "Of course I would have been, you're about to be a mother - if the child had been killed I wouldn't have said anything," said Leofric.

"about to be? I am a mother." Khaana said simply. "what to the Arseling and his wild paramour?" Leofric asked. "Yes, no - but yes. I have three others from my life before. And you're right, My people don't care if the child's a bastard....what matters is what they can become." said Khaana.

Leofric plucked a piece of poultry from the plate and held it out to her, "I am not a child, if I wanted to eat I would." said Khaana her eyes narrowing. "I'm not treating you like a child, but you are very much acting like one, aren't you?" Leofric said a slight smirk came to his face, "perhaps I should call you arseling as well, Lady?" He asked. Khaana scowled, "Urswine." she muttered, but eyed the food with a begrudged glance at it pinched between his fingers.

With a houndish grin Khaana leaned over, and took the food from him with her mouth, grazing her tongue across Leofric's fingertips, she could almost see him shudder from the shiver which shot down his spine. Leofric glared at Khaana briefly but shrugged and popped his finger in his mouth, Khaana sat up and scowled, his reaction didn't last long. "I've been around long enough where I'm not that weak in the knees." He said.

Khaana watched him with a flat gaze, "I do not like you." she muttered curling up by the fire. Leofric shook his head and chuckled softly, "that's not how I remember it." said Leofric. Khaana cringed at the smugness in his tone. "That was different, you have certain....uses. you don't have to like a person to put them to good use." Khaana muttered.

Rolling over Khaana lay with her back towards the fire and Leofric. "Get some sleep, Urswine tomorrow might be a long day with the newlyweds." Khaana hummed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning, Khaana felt a warmth that was familiar and yet slightly foreign, still against herself her body curled nearer to it. Someone chuckled softly, and it was the wrong voice. With a silent gasp, Khaana's eyes flew open while she tried to distance herself from Leofric. Still, he laughed lightly, watching her with an amused gaze as she watched him confused and dazed. 

"do not look at me like that." Khaana barked, Leofric raised a brow, "you're cute when you're sleeping Lady." He mused. Khaana glared at him, "and you're awful when awake." she shot. Leofric used his arm to prop himself up a little, the smile falling away from his face. As much as he was teasing her, she's not known how much of her pride he was saving. "you mutter his name in your sleep." Leofric thought to himself.

Khaana looked away from Leofric to the fire which had gone out, "I must have gotten cold....they are remarkably like when one's eyes are closed." she thought to herself. Leofric watched as something almost sorrowful glimmered in the back of Khaana's eyes, and his frown grew. "you alright?" he asked.