「Phase 98」Brilliant Star

Start from the beginning

"What?"

"You're-" Saki sighed. "Nevermind."

"Eh? You can't just... not finish that!"

"I just did."

"Saki-chan!"

─── 。゚☽: * .◇. * :☾ ° . ───

Later that day, the three sat in the gymnasium, listening to the song connected to the audition. 'Pendulum': a slow yet beautiful song.

"It's nice," Saki said, "Though... not the type of the song I'd give to Usagi-chan."

"What do you mean?" Usagi asked, "Pendulums are known for swinging right? What if I just swing on stage - that'd make Hikaru-chan laugh, right?"

"Or make her die of embarrassment and make her never want to speak to you again."

"You think?"

"That's how I'd react. It's probably best to learn the actual dance. Even if your voice won't fit, if you can dance well enough-"

Usagi nodded. "So just learn the dance? I can do that."

"Well, maybe more than just learning it..."

"Good luck, Usagi-chan," Minori said, "Dancing is hard - I like singing a lot more."

"Are you sure that's not just because-" Saki started, then shook her head, "You know what? You're right. We need Azusawa-san back to balance out your airheadedness."

"The dance is pretty so," Usagi nodded, "I'll try it."

After watching through a couple of times, Usagi started to dance along. Compared to the peppier 'Believe☆Aikatsu!' she had previously performed, this dance was calmer and depended more on refinement. Which, for Usagi, was a difficult task.

But not an impossible one.

As she danced, she quickly glanced out of the window, where the track was. Blue strands of hair flew past.

Usagi stopped, staring for a second. "Can we go running?"

"Now?"

"Yeah," Usagi said, "There's something I want to do."

Saki shot a confused glance at Minori, who shrugged.

"...I guess there's no problem with that?"

"Thanks!" Usagi chimed, "Let's go, then!"

With May beginning, the weather was pleasant. It was sunny and warm and it hadn't rained since a couple of weeks ago.

"Aikatsu!" Usagi chanted as she ran. A tradition within this school and apparently within Aikatsu as a whole. Maybe it didn't make much sense but it surprisingly filled Usagi with more motivation. Saki and Minori tailed behind at a slower, and admittedly smarter, pace.

In the near distance was her goal.

If she could just...

"Aikatsu!" Usagi yelled as she took a final, large spurt. She had arrived at her destination, where her soon-to-be rival was resting. Though panting, Usagi stayed standing and after taking a drink of water, she grinned at the up-and-coming star.

"Aikatsu's fun, right?"

The girl froze.

"I'm Kazami Usagi," she introduced, "I'm taking an audition with you next week. Let's be friends!"

She stayed quiet for a few more seconds, an... uncertain expression on her face.

For a moment, Usagi was terrified she had done something horrifyingly wrong.