"No, no, no," Negan let his smirk fall, "The time to talk has passed! I'm going to need apologies! Punishments need to be dished—"

"If you won't work with us, then why don't you kill me then?" I snapped, cutting him off. Did I want to die? No. But I'm willing to put my life on the line so that my friends and family can have a life to live.

"What did you say?" Negan asked.

"If you have to kill someone," I swallowed thickly, "If there has to be punishment, then kill me." Negan's eyes flashed, seemingly glowing in the darkness around us, his face emotionless.

"You wanna die?" I shook my head and fought against my tears, not wanting to die crying.

"No," I answered honestly, "I don't. But if that means my friends and family get to go on living, then I'm willing. I'm going to die one day anyway, right? If my death can have meaning—if my death can stop this and make things different for us," I motioned a hand to him and closed my eyes for a second, coming to terms with my proposition, "For you, for all those kids and for kids to come—then it'll be worth it."

Negan remained silent, his eyes never leaving my face and searching in the darkness. I think this is the first time Negan's ever been rendered speechless... it's nice. A man who loves to hear himself speak can't find it within him to do so. I glanced at my watch, trying to make my movements seem inconspicuous. Daryl, Rosita, and Michonne should be on their way out. A loud crash came behind me, and gunfire rang through the night air. A feminine voice buzzed, informing them of the convoy that busted through our walls. I ducked, scrambling towards the ladder and climbing down while Negan and the rest were distracted.

"Son of a bitch!" I heard Negan scream, "Was that just a play? I thought we were havin' a moment, you little bitch! Bombs away!" I dropped, my ankles screaming at me when I landed on my feet. All around me, explosions crashed and ignited everything around me. Cars exploded as some incendiary rounds hit them, buildings were set ablaze, and the air smelled heavily of smoke, almost overwhelming me. I reached into my pack and lit the smoke flares, dropping them as I went. I neared a car, wincing as the pain in my ankles increased, begging me to sit and let them rest for a few minutes. Suddenly, the car exploded, sending me flying to the ground. My skin felt raw and roared in agony, a burning sensation spreading through my arm.

Trying to ignore my body's pain, I scrambled to my feet and continued dropping smoke flares, my eyes taking in the entirety of the community around me. Everything was on fire, and the fires were spreading rapidly. More cars exploded, and windows shattered around me, bringing me back to life. The world went silent around me. A loud ringing in my ears prevented me from hearing the loud blasts, the eruptions from within the various houses, and the shouts from the Saviors that infiltrated our home. I dropped flares, throwing them everywhere, and ran towards the burning church. Negan's voice came from within, penetrating through my deafness. I ran faster than I'd ever run before.

"On the ground, June!" I paused, my eyes widening at the two men who pointed their guns at me. I reached into my pack and grabbed the last of my flares, the sewer grate a few paces beside me. Igniting the blaze, I let the smoke cover me entirely and dropped to my knees. My teeth grit and my fingers pinched as I pulled the sewer grate off. I fell down and quickly covered it, disappearing into the darkness.

Maneuvering through the darkness of the sewer, I approached a low flickering light. Explosions boomed overhead, shaking me to my very core—our home, one that we spent so much time and energy on—gone. I just want to check on everyone, ensure they're safe, check on Judith, and then go back up there. I'll die protecting what's mine, that much I'm positive of. Along the walls, my people sat with fearful looks in their eyes and tears. Their voices came out in low whispers, sounding relieved to see me.