• prologue •

P R O L O G U E

   It was the end of summer twenty-twelve and next week would be my last official day before starting my senior year of high school. It seems so unreal how time flies by, but I was thrilled to be starting my final year of high school yet in the pit of my stomach I felt disappointed because my brother was leaving tomorrow.

He was finally able to save up a good portion of money and was planning to leave with his best friend to attend college in San Diego together which began in a week. I tried to spend every second of this summer I could with him before he headed off, which also meant hanging out with his best friend.

I was lying on my bed, the purple covers and extra pillows fitting around my body. Music was playing in the background as I flipped through a book, not even reading the words but instead thinking deeply over certain things in my mind. The main thing that I was thinking about was how my brother, Danny. How often he'd come back home and if he'd get home sick.

Sighing in frustration, I threw my brown hair up into a messy bun and began looking around my light blue walls that were covered in many pictures of my friends and family, and a lot of posters of famous people I looked up to.

Nothing was able to distract my racing mind though. I was still upset.

Danny is, after all, my brother. We don't have the usual brother/sister type relationship, we have fun together and enjoy each other's company, and we rarely fight. We bicker a lot and annoy each other, but in the end we laugh about it. That's why I don't want to see him go away. He's not only my brother, but one of my best friends.

Not to mention the fact that Talon is leaving with him.

Talon and Danny have been best friends since Danny forced Talon to eat dirt in the play ground at Day Care. Talon cried and our mom scolded Danny for his actions and made him apologize. They've been been attached to the hip since like twin brothers, so of course they couldn't part ways after high school, but instead, go to the same college together.

Why didn't they pick somewhere closer to home? It beats me.

They could have gone to college three years ago when they both graduated from high school, but they decided to stay back to help my dad in his law firm so they could both pay their own way into college. Of course, my brother and Talon didn't get enough money to pay fully for college so my parents and Talon's pitched in.

My brother wanted my parents to use his college money to go on vacation together or use it for their retirement later on down the road because they have worked their asses off for us, especially Danny. They were still in high school when my mom got pregnant with him. My dad was a senior and my mom was a junior. Their parents didn't want to help them at all and actually wanted my mom to get an abortion, but they wasn't having that.

My dad graduated early, while my mom still had another year left, and immediately went into a workforce training program that was offered at the local community college at the time. He trained as a diesel mechanic and graduated within eighteen months with a certificate. He done that for five years and made good money, before going back to school online for business and law.

He's a really great father and provider, I can see where Danny got it from so I don't blame him for wanting our parents to have a break.

Talon's parents are the types that care more about work than anything. In other words, they're workaholics, which is really sad because they have a really great kid. They just put a roof over his head and hand him money whenever he needs it, but they never show him any kind of love.