Stranger

12:08 am

12:08 am

*Incoming FaceTime call*

I threw my body into an upright position and rushed to answer the call - I'd only ever had one call through the night and that was an emergency. My barely awake mind began working overtime.

"Hey dude, just calling..." the unfamiliar voice cut off once she looked down at the screen. Annoyingly my vision still blurred so I couldn't get a good look at her.

"Wrong number?" I questioned, way more bluntly than intended.

"Obviously dude but why are you asleep?"

I quickly noticed the stranger's strong American accent, "because it's midnight here and I have work in the morning," oops, didn't mean to snap.

"Oh shi- I'm sorry. Goodnight" and with that the unexpected FaceTime call ended. As confused as I was, I managed to regain my calm state and eventually fall back to sleep.

The next morning I had work at my local coffee shop. I was on an early shift, they're always the best shifts.

"The usual Mr.Webb?" I questioned, sending him a welcoming smile. Mr Webb had been coming here for three years, ever since his beloved wife passed away. He came in the day she died. My gut instinct was to walk over and sit with him, I think this place became his comfort blanket over the years.

"Yes please love!" He smiled, I quickly nodded in response and began making his order.

Once I'd finished I made my way over to where he sat by the window. Usually, customers wait by the till, but after many arguments Mr.Webb eventually agreed to table service from me since he had bad knees. Bless him.

"Hey, you look more tired than usual!" He sounded concerned, knowing I'm protective of my sleep.

"Yeah, someone rang me at midnight last night... wrong number" I huffed, "anyways I'm ok! Don't you worry about me. How are you?"

"That's a little late for a wrong number isn't it?" He paused but only briefly, "I'm ok darlin' I'm just waiting to hear back about the sale on the house," his usual smile faded and sadness laced his voice.

"Yeah, well she had an American accent so I don't think it was late for her," I rested my hand on his shoulder before I began talking again, "it never does get easier does it, Tom?"

The old man shook his head, "any way you go on love! You're in high demand!" He pointed over at the growing queue by the till. I let out a half-hearted laugh, "I'm sorry... Coffee date next Thursday Mr.Webb?" He nodded happily in agreement.

The rest of the shift flew by as per usual and before I knew it I was home, showered and lying in bed. I lost sleep the previous night which doesn't happen, so inevitably I ended up drifting off for a nap.

__________________________________

Unknown number

Hey, sorry for waking you last night.

You love waking me don't you?

Huh?

I was napping

Dude I'm sorry, where are you from anyway?

It's ok, I'm messing with you. England wby?

LA. How was work?

Work was work, same old.

What do you do?

I work in a coffee shop just while I study, it's my second home tbh, wby?

I sing, sometimes

Are you any good?

I guess, kinda

You guess? That's not very confident of you

I'm not very confident

Who even are you anyway?

I'm Billie, and you are?

Should I be giving my name to strangers?

I gave you mine

You have a point. My name is Reese

That's cute

I am cute. Anyway stranger I gtg.

Bet, had fun texting ya stranger, do it again sometime?

We'll see.

__________________________________

I didn't expect to text her again, I barely text my friends in my town never mind someone from America. I locked my phone and attempted to fall back into my nap, which generally wasn't too hard for me to do.

__________________________________

Author note

Hey! I know this book is fanfic, and Billie based however I can't make every word and every chapter solely about Billie at the beginning so please bare with me, as the book develops obviously there will be a lot more about her, but I wanted this story to have little stories in it too so that it can carry on for longer! I hope you understand, and trust me I was also eager to have her appear. (I can't wait to release the next few chapters they're undergoing checks by myself at the moment, once I'm happy they'll be out). I will be regularly updating:)

Anyway, hope you enjoy :)