Chapter 2~ Cheyda

Mulai dari awal

 He stepped out his front door looking slightly annoyed, which would almost be impossible to tell by anyone else due to his apathetic features. But I had known Zen since 7th grade, and had the extra benefit of feeling his emotions as well. I was aware of his mood constantly when around him. It was commonly one of laid back observance. He rarely instigated moods of stress or unhappiness, and when he did they were so faint compared to other people that it stunned me. I could never understand why he was so relaxed most of the time when America's mentality carried the requirement of ridiculously high stress levels.

 Having a relaxed best friend like him had helped to carry me through the hardest emotional turmoils of my life. He knew of my ability to feel others' emotions, and was nothing more than mildly surprised upon to discover my ability. Ever since he has been my strongest support.

 He ambled towards me in a peaceful stroll and we greeted with a friendly hug. He looked even tanner than usual, thanks to his naturally olive complexion and the recent streak of sunny days this summer. I could've sworn that he grew another inch or two as well since I last saw him just a few days ago.

 "What's up?" He asked with slight concern.

 "My dramatic dad went off again and screamed bloody murder for divorce."

 "Doesn't he always do that?"

 "Yeah, but this time he packed some bags and left. He's gone for a couple of days."

 Zen's faintly Asian features creased in thought. "That sucks. How are you? I imagine both of their emotions are leaving you stressed out huh?"

 I shrugged. "Actually I'm ok considering. I just needed to hang with a chill person for a while."

 He smiled. "You've got the right guy."

 We entered Starbucks and ordered the same old; Zen an iced black tea with no additives, and me a mocha cappuccino. We sat at our usual table in the back, and chatted randomly about subjects ranging from mildly interesting to more personal matters. We verged on the subject of his family. I had to once again broach the subject lightly. Even though we were best friends he was still not as open to talking about his problems as I was about mine. He was a solve-his-own-problems kind of guy and I respected that. I certainly didn't need to go poking around for more problems, I had plenty enough as it was.

 "What's your mom been doing lately?" I asked.

 "She's got new hours; she's up to seventy a week now." He flashed a small grin. "Seriously thank God psychiatrists work so many hours."

 "Wow. Lucky you. Does she still hate me?"

 He sighed. "She doesn't hate you, which is basically the same as loving you in her callously cold heart." He told me with conviction in his heart and dark humor on his face.

 I sighed dramatically at him. "Fine, fine, I am not feeling the love though."

 "Neither am I." He said right back.

 We both laughed and moved onto lighter subjects of conversation. After an hour of uplifting talk and hanging out, we both agreed it was time to go back. He had to babysit Kaiser, his younger brother of 12 and I had to get back to my mom. I thanked him for the relaxer and he replied "Anytime." We parted ways after walking back to our houses while finishing on the topic of the nicety of summer. I glanced at my cell phone, which had been neglected during my time with Zen and saw that I had received a few texts. The first one was from Mom asking where I was at, the second was from Janna, and the third one was Mom asking seriously where was I.

I entered my house and immediately called out to Mom that I had returned from Starbucks. Trotting up to my room I dialed my sister's number and waited a few minutes before she picked up.

 "Hello?" Janna asked with slight annoyance.

 "Hey, why won't you tell me where you're at?" I demanded, trying not to sound as naggy as Dad.

 "Look Cheyda things are a bit...stressful right now. Within the next few weeks I need to deal with some things on my own. After that we can talk."

 "Why won't you just talk to me? I won't tell Mom or Dad where you're at!" I pleaded. I really wanted to see Janna again. I loved her and as far as sisters were, we were close. She had moved out two years ago. I only saw her every other month at the most, and it killed me inside to be away from her for so long.

 "Ugh, I'm sorry I ever told you I was in the area. Just forget it for awhile ok? You don't understand, and probably never will."

 "Janna-"

 "Bye Cheyda, don't call back."

 She hung up and I was left staring in utter shock at my phone, which Janna had bought me.

 "Cheyda!" Mom's voice carried up the stairs.

 Instead of hollering back at her I went downstairs, eager to get my mind off of what my sister just did to me. "Yes?" I asked as soon as I jumped down from the last step.

 Down the hall Mom was standing with the door open. She was turned expectantly towards me. "There's a policeman here honey." She invited him inside and we all moved to the front room. Both of them emanated waves of concern. The clad officer had worry pouring from him in dark waves, but he kept a cool facade on the outside.

 The blond officer shook my hand before taking a seat on the couch. "My name is Officer Dawes and I have a few questions for you."

 I swallowed nervously trying to think of anything that I might've done wrong but nothing came to mind. "Yes?" I asked in an attempt to keep the anxiety out of my voice.

 "Your mom says that you were at the pool yesterday around one in the afternoon?"

 I nodded. "Yes I was. Why what happened?" I asked, unable to keep the question to myself.

 "Yesterday around a young girl was abducted from the Medford Pool. I need you to think back clearly if you remember seeing a young  blond-haired girl around the age of six at the pool, or anyone with her. She was wearing a pink two piece bathing suit with," he quickly verified with his notebook, "hearts on it."

 I stared at him. "That's terrible." I wracked my brain for a few moments, trying to conjure up any memory that might have an image of her. Nothing came up. I shook my head.

 The officer reached in his pocket and held out a picture. It was heartbreaking to know such an innocent girl had been taken, she was absolutely adorable. "This is her, are you positive you didn't see her yesterday?"

 I solemnly shook my head. "What's her name?"

 "Talia Lewister, she was last seen with her older brother Jacobi. He said he left her for two minutes to change when she disappeared."

 My pulse leapt into my throat. "Jacobi... as in Jacobi who just moved in next to us?" I asked with wild nervousness.

 Officer Dawes confirmed yes and I felt my stomach drop.

 "...And they just moved in. I can't believe that happened. How terrible!" I choked.

 Mom nodded in sad agreement.

 "You don't recall ever seeing her or anyone with her?" He reiterated, holding the picture up.

 I shook my head in dismay. "No, I wish I could say that I did. But I never saw her or Jacobi at the pool yesterday."

 Officer Dawes thanked me for my time and got up to leave. Mom offered him something to drink or eat, but he politely declined. He muttered something about catching the criminal scumbag who did such a thing and left.

 My head swirled with the sudden rush of the past few days' events. This summer wasn't going to be as peaceful as I'd originally thought. Suddenly I felt an urge to comfort or help Jacobi in any way I could. The suffering he and his family were enduring must've been one of painful proportions, and I found myself almost crying merely at the thought of their pain. I couldn't stand other people suffering, it was one of the worst things in the world.

I now sat on my bed in a mournful daze. I stared out my window that was across from the Lewisters' new house. I mean sure I was having a hard time with my own sister, but never in a million years could I imagine losing her. I quickly decided on going over and offering any help whatsoever to Jacobi, it was the least I could do as their neighbor.