Fifth Year // Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

Once we all finished we headed off towards History of Magic (major snoozefest that will always be), followed by Potions with Snape, then Divination, with the last class of the day being Dark Arts with Umbridge. 

"I swear if we get another essay or another bit of homework from Umbridge, I will literally die!" I said as we walked down the corridor towards the room. 

"I doubt she'll give us a bunch, none of the others gave us a bunch," Neville said.

"Well, those four didn't seem nearly as bitchy as this one does," I spoke sassily as we reached the door. Neville snickered quietly as we officially entered the room. 

We saw Professor Umbridge already sitting at her desk, wearing the same fluffy pink cardigan of the night of the feast and a black velvet bow was on her head. 

"Well, good afternoon!" she said once the class was sat down. A few of us mumbled "Good afternoon," in reply. 

"That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we all chanted back to her. I gagged a little bit as those words left my mouth and could just barely see Hermione rolling her eyes. Umbridge made us put our wands away, which made half the class voice their disapproval. Once we all had our quills out, Umbridge's sickly sweet voice spoke once more.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face us with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L. year."

She instructed up to copy down what she had written on the blackboard, which what she wrote for the course aims were completely bogus! I sneered every time Umbridge had her back towards us and plastered on a smile every time she looked back. We started the lesson by reading, but Hermione raised her hand.

"Professor, there's nothing written up there about using defensive spells," Hermione spoke bluntly, with most of us murmuring affirmatives after her words. 

"Using defensive spells?" Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free way." 

"Well, what use is that? If we are going to be attacked it won't be 'risk-free'!" Harry retorted. 

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge spoke coldly as she walked up to the front of the room. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about."

"And how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry queried again.

"There is nothing out there dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children like yourself?" Umbridge said walking ever closer to Harry's desk.

"This bitch ..." I muttered clenching my fist. Neville instantly reached over and grabbed it.

"Stand down, Weasley." He chuckled.

"Oh, I don't know ... maybe ..." Harry paused for a moment before looking her dead in the eye. "Lord Voldemort?!"

"Well ... that was sudden ..." Neville muttered. I looked around the room and saw Seamus sneer over at Harry and make a gesture. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"Seamus better get his act together or he's never getting be back as a friend." I spat coldly. Neville patted my fist once again, as Umbridge started pacing again. 

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told, that a certain, Dark Wizard is at large once again. This. Is. A. Lie!"

"It's not a lie! I saw him, I FOUGHT HIM!" Harry shouted.

"Detention, Mr Potter!"

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead at his own accord?!" Harry yelled. I inhaled sharply and my entire body went rigid. Neville noticed and moved his hand from my hands to my leg and rubbed my knee. 

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!" Umbridge replied. 

"WHAT?!" I shouted, but my shout went unnoticed by everyone as Harry's shouts were louder than mine. 

"IT WAS MURDER! VOLDEMORT killed him! You must know that!" 

"ENOUGH!" Umbridge's shrill voice screeched. She quickly cleared her throat and brushed down the front of her outfit. "Enough." 

I tried to hold back, but something in me just clicked and I stood up. Neville tried to hold me down but I shook out of his grasp. Umbridge turned and faced me.

"What's wrong, dear?" she asked sweetly. 

"What is your name again?"

"Umbridge, Dolores Umbridge." She replied, puffing out her chest. 

"Fantastic," I said with an evil smile growing on my face. Neville noticed and once again tried to pull me down. I shook him away and cleared my throat. 

"Let me tell you all a story about a bitch named Dolores. Yeah, Dolores is a woman in a bright pink dress. She calls herself a Professor but refuses to teach us. But fuck that big ole bitch, cause I'm a Weasley!" 

Half the class burst into rolls of laughter, while the other half just stared at me. Umbridge stood still, her mouth gaping at me.

"DETENTION! Miss Weasley!" Umbridge screamed as the bell rang. 

"GLADLY!" I snapped getting up and storming out of the classroom, back to Gryffindor Tower where I was sure I was going to get reamed by my siblings.