(22) How Can Leo Still Find The Snow Goddess Hot?

The very moment the snow goddess arrived, Layla knew they had no chance.

On her right Jason was holding the icy plank he had picked up which was probably not the best weapon. Piper was holding her dagger but she wasn't yet great at fighting with it. Leo was still under the impression that he could defeat the whole army with breathe mints. Layla was the only one that could actually do something with her weapon. Still, the bronze that weapon would do no good against the Wolves. Their best warrior, Thalia, stood frozen at the floor and, oh yeah, the giant king was going to rise in less than 15 minutes.

Hera wasn't exactly helping either. She did nothing but whine and yell things like 'I've chosen you for a reason, don't make me regret it,' or 'Hurry up, Valdez! This cage isn't going to open but itself' that made Layla want to punch her wrinkled face.

"What have you done?" Layla heard Jason ask.

"Oh, so many things," Khione looked delighted. "Your sister is not dead, if that's what you mean. She and her Hunters will make funny toys for our Wolves. I though we'd defrost them one at a time and hunt them down for amusement. Let them be the prey for once." The Wolves howled in agreement.

"Yes, my dears." Khione said. "Your sister almost killed their king, you know. Lycaon's off in a cave somewhere, no doubt licking his wound, but his minios have joined us to take revenge for their master. And soon Porphyrion will arise, and we shall rule the world."

"Traitor!" Hera yelled. "You meddlesome, D-list goddess! You aren't worthy to pour my wine, much less rule the world."

"Tiresome as ever, Queen Hera." Khione sighned. "You don't know how long I've been waiting to finally be able to shut you up for good."

"That makes two of us." Layla muttered as Khione waved her hand causing ice to encase the cage. And, thank the gods, the ice was soundproof and they could no longer here the goddess's complaints.

"That's better," The Khione said. "Now about your death -"

"You're the one who tricked Hera into coming here." Jason realized. "You gave Zeus the idea of closing Olympus."

The Wolves snarled and got ready to attack. "Patience, my loves." Khione told them. "If he wants to talk, what's the matter? The sun is setting, and time is on our side. Of course, Jason Grace. Like snow, my voice is quiet and gentle, and very cold. It's easy for me to whisper to the other gods, especially when I am anly confirming their own deepest fears. I also whispered in Aeolus's ear that he should issue an order to kill demigods. It is a small service for Gaia, but I'm sure I will be well rewarded when her sons the giants come to power."

"You could've killed us Quebec," Jason said. "Why let us live?"

"Messy business, killing you in my father's house, especially when he insists on meeting all visitors. I did try, you remember. It would've been lovely if he'd agreed to turn you to ice. But once he's given you a guarantee of safe passage I couldn't openly disobey him. My father is an old fool. He lives in fear of Zeus and Aeolus, but he's still powerful. Soon enough, when my new masters have awakened, I will dispose Boread and take the throne of the North Wind, but not just yet. Besides, my father did have a point. Your quest was suicidal. I fully expected you to fail."

"And to help us with that," Leo said. "You knocked our dragon out of the sky over Detroit. Those frozen wires in he's head- that was your fault. You're gonna pay for that."

"You're also the one who kept Enceladus informed about us." Piper added. "We've been plagued by snowstorms the whole trip."

"Yes, I feel so close to all of you now!" Khione said. "Once you made it past Omaha, I decided to ask Lycaon to track you down so Jason could die here, at the Wolf House." The goddess gave Jason a cruel smile. "You see, Jason, you blood on this sacred ground will taint it for generations. Your Demigod brethren will be outraged, especially when they find the bodies of these three from Camp Half-Blood. They'll believe the Greeks work together with the giants. It will be... interesting to watch."

Hearing Khione's plan everything fall to place in Layla's mind. Greek demigods and demigods like Jason had always been rivals. That's why the gods kept them separated. "You'll set demigods against demigod." She realized.

"It's so easy!" The goddess said excited. "As I told you, I only encourage what you would do anyway."

"But why?" Piper spread her hand, no doubt trying to use charmspeak on the goddess. "Khione, you'll tear the world apart. The giants will destroy everything. You don't want that. Call off your monsters."

Khione looked torn for a second but soon her cruel smile returned. "Your persuasive powers are improving, girl. But I'm a goddess. You can't charmspeak me. We, wind gods, are creatures of chaos! I'll overthrow Aeolus and let the storms run free. If we destroy the Mortal world, all the better! They never honoured me, even in Greek times. Humans and their talk of global warming. Pah! I'll cool them down quickly enough. When we retake the ancient places, I'll cover the Acropolis in snow."

Leo's eyes widened. "The ancient places? That's what Enceladus meant about destroying the roots of the gods. He meant Greece."

"You could join me, son of Hephaestus." Khione fave him a charming smile. "I know you find me beautiful. I would be enough for my plan if just two greek demigods die along with Jason. You don't have to throw your life away. Reject that ridiculous destiny the fates have given you. Live and be my champion instead. Your skills would be quite useful."

Leo hesitated. He turned around to look at Layla, Jason and Piper. He was actually considering the offer. Layla felt betrayed. Leo couldn't possibly ditch them to go with the woman who ruined his dragon and tried to kill them multiple times just because he found her beautiful, could he?

But Leo did something unexpected. He started laughing so hard the he almost fell to his kneed. "Yeah, join you. Right. Until you get bored of me and turn me into a Leosicle? Lady, nobody messes with my dragon and gets away with it. I can't believe I thought you were hot."

Khione's face turned red from anger. "Hot? You dare insult me? I am cold, Leo Valdez. Very, very cold."

She shot a blast of snow at the four demigods but Leo held up his hand. A wall of fire lit up in front of the making the snow melt.

"See, lady, that's what happens to snow in Texas. It melts."

"Enough of this." Khione hissed. Hera is failing. Porphyrion is rising. Kill the demigods. Let them be our king's first meal!"

Layla held her sword higher and waited for the thousands of monsters to attacked them.