“You have no bloody idea,” I said, coming towards him a bit with a rush, “how much uncertainty there is about the outcome of this war. I will not rest until I see to it that Darien is brought down to his knees. If my life is to be jeopardized because of this then so be it. Know this, Francis; I brought you into this conflict because I didn’t want Torva to be unprepared for Darien. Darien could have been successful in stabbing me and he would move on to taking Torva down.”

From outside the tent I could hear the men talking and walking around. Though I couldn’t hear it, I knew that the blacksmiths were making the final touches to the armor and the swords. The silence died when Francis let out a laugh, taking me by surprise.

“Why would Darien even target Torva in the first place?”

I looked down at the ground before quickly looking back up at him.

“Because Darien did not like that my father was going to keep the peace between Alendar and Torva through trade. Darien believed that Torva was responsible for a lot of the pains of Alendar’s past and he thought that as prince his opinion would be heard. But my father knew that Darien wanted war. He craved war. He craved bloodshed. Darien loved going to bars and getting into drunken fist fights. Oh and let’s not forget the many whores he brought into the palace to warm his bed! Anyway, what I am trying to say is that if Darien had gotten away from my murder then Torva would have fallen. You are so inexperienced in the world of rulers that Torva wouldn’t have been in the slightest way prepared for the force you see below the cliffs here and now. You are no longer a boy, Francis. You are a man. It is time that you get your act together or else someone is going to walk in and happily take the throne away from you! You have to prove you are worthy and that requires moderation in your daily pleasures. Take it from me, ruling is no fun but it is worth it every waking moment to know that an entire population looks up to you as their protector, as their champion.”

Francis didn’t say anything for a while. He just stared back at me with those blue eyes of his. The cold wind that had lingered the whole day swept into the tent, making me shiver a bit at the coolness. He stood there quiet for a while, probably a good five minutes before he decided to open his mouth again.

“Eleanor, I’m sorry. I –“

Before he could finish, General McCormick came rushing in, trying to catch his breath.

“What is it,” I asked, the alert heavy in my voice.

“Forgive my intrusion but a member of Darien’s rebels has come here to deliver you a message, my Queen,” said McCormick in a low voice, meaning that Darien’s henchman was just behind the entry way to this tent.

Looking to Francis and then back to McCormick, I gathered myself together.

“Let him in.”

McCormick gave me a quick salute before heading back out to retrieve the messenger. He returned in no time, gesturing towards me with his hand to that man dressed in the rebel coat of arms that the boy had described when this all started. The man was young, probably close to Darien’s age. He held a menacing look as he eyed me up and down. I threw him back one of disgust and he gave me a mocking bow.

“King Darien requests to see you,” he said with a heavy accent, one that you would hear from the northern territory.

I felt my lips turn up in a smirk as I walked over to the man. He began to rise up from the ground but McCormick held him in place.

“No, I do not take orders from a self-proclaimed king who has no crown and is a coward. Tell Darien that Queen Eleanor asks that he comes and meet her here. Unless, of course, he will be the coward he has always been and send one of his henchmen here instead. Go, now. And if you do not deliver the message exactly as I have said it to you then I can assure you it will get ugly.”

With that, McCormick yanked the man up and dragged him out of the tent, leaving Francis and I alone again.

I sighed, bringing up my hand to pinch the bridge of my nose. My feet were moving as I paced back and forth around the tent as I tried to keep myself from hyperventilating. No, this is too soon. I’m not ready, I’m not –

“Eleanor you need to breathe,” soothed Francis. Did this idiot not know when to stop?

“Oh please! Like you care one bit,” I snapped as I stopped and looked at him.

“I have not seen Darien in eight years! Eight! My father was only able to get Parliament to change the line of succession once I turned eighteen. You know what, I’m not going to argue with you, I already did enough of that today. King Francis, would you do me the honor of escorting yourself out of my tent? I need to be alone,” I said, walking over to the chair set up behind my desk.

“Say no more, Queen Eleanor,” he said with a bit of anger in his tone, walking out of the tent in a hurry. Believe me, he could be mad at me until the end of time, and I won’t give a damn.

Now alone to myself and my thoughts, I brought my hands up to my face and I let the tears pour out. I screamed into my hands in frustration. I was under pressure from this whole entire conflict. I had a duty to my country and myself to succeed in this. I couldn’t fail. I wouldn’t fail. If there is one thing a ruler must do it is never to set his or herself up for failure. And believe me, dear reader, I never wanted any of this to happen. It never even occurred to me that such a thing could happen so early in my reign.

Darien is out for my blood and my crown, but I too have a vendetta of my own. It is up to fate to decide who comes out the victor.