Ch. 1 The Preface

It is a rainy morning on Sunday, December 13, 1987, at Forks, Washington. A one-year-old short-length brown-haired female is peacefully sleeping in a crib in a nursery room.

Across the crib is another crib where a three-month-old brown-haired female is also calmly sleeping.

The door to the nursery room opened, revealing a nineteen-year-old 5'4" medium-length brown-haired and a blue-eyed female named Renee Higginbotham.

Renee looks down at her right hand, which has no wedding ring since she and her ex-husband twenty-three-year-old short-length curly brown-haired and brown-eyed Charlie Swan recently divorced; thus, she is not a Swan anymore.

Renee lifts her head, and she silently stared at the two cribs. One is close to the window while the other is near the wall.

Renee turns her head back, and she hears voices downstairs, knowing that Charlie is preoccupied with his childhood best friend, twenty-five-year-old 6'1" long black-haired and brown-eyed Billy Black, and his wife, twenty-five-year-old 5'6" long black-haired and brown-eyed Sarah Black nee Wilde.

The couple was watching over their daughters while Renee and Charlie went to Downtown Seattle to divorce.

Renee's blue eyes blinked when she heard a cooing sound. She slowly turns her gaze blankly, staring at her eldest daughter, Annalise Swan's doe-like blue eyes.

Renee frowned since she didn't like that Annalise looked so much like her.

Renee briefly looks away from her eldest daughter, and her blue eyes softened when she sees her youngest daughter, Isabella Swan, sleeping in her crib and looking like an angel.

" Ah!" Annalise calls out to Renee while sitting up and holding her little arms out to her.

Renee looks away from Isabella, and she turns her gaze to Annalise. She stared at her eldest daughter in disgust as she walks up to her and picks her up.

" Look. I have always hated you," Renee confessed to Annalise.

Annalise's doe-like blue eyes blinked, looking and feeling confused since she didn't understand what Renee was telling her.

" I wanted you to die. You ruined my life," Renee softly hissed at Annalise.

Tears welled up in Annalise's doe-like blue eyes since Renee was holding onto her too tightly.

" At least, Charlie will look after you," Renee mumbled while annoyingly rolling her blue eyes. " I don't know why he even likes you. But, I am glad not to have you in my life," She widely grinned, and she drops Annalise on the crib as though she is an unwanted toy.

Annalise falls onto the crib, and she starts to cry since the impact scared her.

" Shut up! You are going to wake up, Isabella," Renee hissed at Annalise.

Annalise continued to cry louder, causing Isabella to begin moving in her crib.

Renee looks away from Annalise, and she begins to get worried when she sees Isabella about to wake up.

" Shh. Shh. It's okay, Sweetheart. Mommy is here. I am so sorry that nuisance is making you wake up," Renee walks up to the crib where Isabella is sleeping, and she gently pats her youngest daughter's stomach to calm her down.

Isabella soon begins to calm down and continues to sleep with her tiny fist in her mouth.

Renee sighed in relief, and she scowls when she hears Annalise still crying in the background.

Footsteps running up the stairs grabbed Renee's attention, and she turns around, seeing Sarah entering the nursery room.

" Is everything alright?" Sarah asked, looking and sounding concerned.