Fifth Year // Chapter 1

Começar do início

"Right off, our caretaker, the good Mr Filch, has reminded me for what he says is the four-hundred and sixty-second time that he has an annually updated list of various banned items, usually introduced by our humor experts of late, Fred and George Weasley -"

Dumbledore got cut off as Fred and George got up and did some little bows. The Gryffindor table cheered, along with some Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. The Slytherins remained almost expressionless. 

" - which are posted in an extensive list on the door to Mr Flich's office door." With one last bow, Fred and George sat down. We all beamed at them, as Dumbledore continued on. "Also we have two staffing changes this year. Professor Grubbly-Plank will be taking the post of Care of Magical Creatures post as Professor Hagrid is on ... extended leave."

"Leave? Since when?" Neville whispered. I shrugged as Dumbledore continued.

"Additionally, I have the pleasure of announcing Professor Dolores Umbridge, who has kindly agreed to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts -"

"Hem hem." Umbridge coughed. The entire hall went silents as Dumbledore turned to look over. A woman all dressed in pink from head to toe, got up from her seat at the staff table and began to walk down to the podium.

"Did she just -" I started. 

"She did." Neville finished. As she walked forward not only were the students glaring at her but the staff as well. Mainly McGonagall, Snape, and Dumbledore.

"Thank you, Headmaster. For those kind words of welcome, and how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be VERY good friends." 

"That's likely." Fred and George spoke at the same time. I heard them and let out a small giggle. Umbridge heard us and glared over at us before continuing on. 

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards, to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school." She glanced sideways, at Dumbledore.

"Did she just - insult Dumbledore?!" I whisper shouted.

"Sounds like it ..." Neville replied, as Umbridge continued.

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what can be preserved. Perfect what can be perfected, and prune the practices that ought to be, prohibited." She coughed once more before walking back to her seat.

"I was afraid of this ..." Hermione muttered. We all turned to look at her as Harry leaned over. 

"What Hermione?"

"Do you see what this means?" she asked us all. I had a feeling but shook my head along with everyone else. Hermione sighed. "It means, the Ministry is interfering at Hogwarts."

***

After the feast, we all heard up to the Common Room. I was sitting over near the stairs with Neville, looking over the new plant his Gran had gotten him. 

"This year is going to be hell in a handbasket ..." I murmured quietly as Harry walked in and the entire common room went silent as everyone followed him around the room.

"Seamus, Dean. How was your holiday?" Harry asked.

"Alright. Better than Seamus's I'd bet." Dean replied. 

"Bloody hell, here we go," I muttered getting up and walking closer.  Seamus got up and glared at Harry. 

"Me Mam almost wouldn't let me come back this year," Seamus spoke.

"Seamus ..." Dean spoke, obviously worried his best friend was about to say something stupid. 

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Well ... because of you ..."

"What did I do?" 

"She ... well, she figures you're, well ... you're lying about You-Know-Who and Dumbledore's a right nutter ..."

"Where'd she get that from?" Harry spoke, however it was clear he already knew the answer. Seamus tossed the most recent issue of the Daily Prophet at him.

"You're Mum believes this?"

"Well, no one was there the night Diggory died!" Seamus spat.

"Seamus! Harry! Stop before this gets out of hand!" I said walking over. 

"Well, maybe you should read the Prophet like your stupid Mother!" Harry yelled.

"Don't you dare talk about my mother like that!" Seamus walked closer and was clearly about to strike Harry when Ron stormed over. He quickly leads Harry away, leaving me to walk up to Seamus. 

"Seamus, you've got to stop trusting the Prophet, they're the ones who are wrong," I said trying to be reasonable with him.

"You believe, Potter?!" Seamus said shocked.

"Yes. Yes, I do!" I spat. "You should too because apparently, you're the only one in our friend group who doesn't trust him. Or any of us!"

"Well maybe, I would've been better off without friends like YOU!" Seamus shouted. I stumbled back at his words, as I felt like I had just been shot through my heart.

"SEAMUS!" Dean yelled.

"WHAT THE FUCK, SEAMUS!" Neville shouted.

"Lori I'm -"

"SAVE IT!" I screamed, quickly walking forward and slapping him. "FUCK YOU, FINNIGAN! FUCK YOU!" I turned on my heels and ran out of the common room, crying.