Wolff repeated his words calmly, "I am withdrawing my proposition."

"For what reason?" Axel questioned. "Did something happen last night while I was gone?"

I couldn't think of a single reason why Wolff changed his mind overnight. He walked out in the middle of our conversation looking winded out but before that, he wanted it still—wanted me. It was clear from the way he looked at me.

"I simply changed my mind." Wolff grabbed a piece of paper and slid it to the corner of his desk. "Please, sign the NDA, Mariana. We have to make sure you would not speak about any of this to anyone."

"No."

Both their heads snapped to me. I pressed my lips together and shook my head firmly. If I sign that paper, they would waste no time kicking me out.

"Bring the proposition back." I demanded. "I will agree to it."

Axel looked stunned, like he could hug me and buy me balloons any minute. However, Wolff's steel expression broke into a grimace. "No."

Axel turned back to him. "Are you out of your mind? She's saying yes, Kurt."

"And I'm saying no."

"Bullshit. You've been looking for her for God knows how long!" Axel, exclaimed. His knuckles were pressed flatly on Wolff's desk, any more pressure and he could punch holes in them. "What changed your mind? Did you find another girl?"

Another girl. I gulped. She would take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to start over. I would not let that happen.

"We will resume the search. Mariana is not cut out for—"

"Let's go. Right now. To your room. Take my virginity. I'm staying." I stood up and straightened my dress—another black dress Wolff gifted me this morning, another reminder why I should have agreed to his proposal in the first place.

Axel chocked. Wolff remained rigid but his pained expression was back on his face, like how I found him on his bathroom floor last night. Was it really that hard to bring back the proposition? I couldn't, for the life of me, comprehend how his mind worked. I knew how much he wanted me last night. I remembered his words exactly. A thousand. Maybe more. Where the hell was that man now?

"Mariana, no. I can't—"

"I'm ready to have sex." I was not.

Wolff looked like he was about the cry.

Axel exhaled a heavy breath. "Okay, wait. Calm down. Kurt, get the paper. Mariana will sign the proposition right now."

"No, goddamn it!" Wolff stood up from his chair so fast his knee hit the table and some of the pen and paperweight dropped to the floor. "I will not touch her. I can't. You don't understand, I just can't."

"What? You suddenly changed your preference overnight?"

I held my breath when Wolff's tight grip came in contact with the lapels of Axel's coat. To his credit, he did not flinch. Axel only stared at Wolff with this indecipherable depth. A kind of understanding reserved for people you deeply cared about.

"I would hurt her, Axel. You know I would. And I wouldn't be able to handle it. The guilt. It would eat me alive."

"Then you'll do it slow, you—

"I don't fucking do slow!" Axel's jacket was seconds away from tearing under Wolff's strong grasp. "I never do. I don't have control over that."

"Yes you do, Kurt. Please. Let Mariana sign the proposition. We will try everything to make it work."

Wolff loosened his grip and took a step back, but his gaze remained pinned on Axel like he was still hurting and he needed reassurance that everything would be okay. At that moment, I saw it clear as day. The bond between them. The silent understanding passing through their eyes. They weren't simply employer and employee. They were brothers. Brothers who would not leave each other's side amidst any challenge.

Wolff rounded back on his table, pulling another sheet of paper from his drawer and placing it atop his desk. He didn't sit as I made my way over to read the proposal. I gripped the pen and cleared my throat. My eyes scanned the paper for the words I needed.

When I was sure my needs would be covered and I have nothing else to worry about aside from losing my virginity, I signed the paper and let out the breath I was holding. "Done. When do we start?"