Chapter Seventeen

Loki and I reunited with Sylvie, who was sat on a rock, watching the destruction unfold. "I'm sorry." I apologised, before sitting down next to the Goddess. She just nodded in acknowledgment. "I remember Asgard. Not much, but I remember. My home, my people, my life. The universe wants to break free, so it manifests chaos. Like me being born the Goddess of Mischief. And as soon as that created a big enough detour from the Sacred Timeline, the TVA showed up, erased my reality, and took me prisoner. I was just a child. I escaped. Stole a TemPad and I ran for a long, long time, which really sucked. Everywhere and every-when I went, it caused a nexus event. Sent up a smoke flare. Because I'm not supposed to exist. Until, eventually, I figured out where to hide. And so that's where I grew up, the ends of a thousand worlds. Now... that's where I'll die." She said sadly. "Not long now." She smiled solemnly. "Do you think that what makes a Loki a Loki is the fact that we're destined to lose?" Sylvie asked Loki. "No. We may lose. Sometimes painfully. But we don't die. We survive. I mean, you did. You were just a child when the TVA took you, but you nearly took down the organization that claims to govern the order of time. You did it on your own. You ran rings around them. You're amazing!" Loki praised. Sylvie gave him a thankful look, then it turned into one of thought. Suddenly Loki's face looked reluctant.

Loki's POV

I smiled at Sylvie after praising her genius, then a familiar feeling arose in my head.

Don't freak out, it's only me.

Sylvie's voice said telepathically.

You're probably wondering what I'm doing in your head, but I'm not stupid. You need to tell her before it's too late.

What are you talking about?

Don't play coy with me. I've seen the way you interact with each other. Just tell her. Don't tell me you're going to die a coward?

I mentally huffed because she was right.

Fine.

I looked toward Freyja, and motioned for us to talk. "I need to talk to you." I told her. She looked at me hesitantly and slowly got up.
I lead her a few meters away from Sylvie and took her hands in mine. I looked into her gorgeous eyes and admired her face. "Loki?What was it you needed to talk to me about?" She asked softly. "Right, umm." I stuttered.

Before I could tell her how I felt, three very familiar doors opened and Mobius stepped through with five TVA guards. Freyja and Sylvie's faces dropped, as they stepped forward to take us. "No. No, no, no!" Freyja cried against their grip. "Mobius please. I'm your friend, come on let me go." She pleaded, whilst thrashing against a pair of guards. Mobius turned to her. "You're just a Variant." He said reluctantly. I saw Freyja flinch, and she began thrashing more. Sylvie was putting up a fight too. Her eyes looked frantic and scared.
All of a sudden, Freyja and Sylvie were being dragged off into a different direction. "Loki?" Freyja said in confusion, before she started yelling my name. However, she was soon drowned out by the doors.

"Well?" Mobius asked. "Well, what?" I snapped.
"I know you got some quip you're dyin' to say." He commented. "I don't have a quip. I've got nothing to say to you." I spat. "Come on." Mobius taunted. "By the way, I should have an equal amount of security. This is insulting!" I retorted. "You just can't help yourself." He muttered. "You betrayed me!" I protested. "You betrayed me!" Mobius argued. "Grow up!" I scolded. "You grow up." He shot back. "You know, it occurred to me that you're not really the God of Mischief." Mobius started, causing me to roll my eyes. "Oh, here it comes. The folksy, dopey insult from the folksy dope. What am I? The God of Self-Sabotage, yeah? The God of Back-Stabbing?" I spat. "Just kind of an asshole and a bad friend." Mobius said, but I scoffed. "Oh so I'm your friend, but Freyja isn't? She trusted you, and you betrayed her." I told him. Mobius stayed silent. "Yeah, chew on that for a little bit." I said. "I didn't mean it. I just had to keep the act up in front of the guards. She knows I didn't mean it." Mobius defended. I looked at him in disbelief. "Does she? Because from where I was standing, she looked pretty hurt." I snapped. "All right. It's ready." Mobius said, after a few seconds of silence. "What is this?" I asked, fighting against the hold of the guards, as a red door appeared in front of me. "You'll see." He chuckled. "Mobius!" I cried. "Okay. No, no, no, let him, one last desperate trick from the desperate trickster. Go ahead." He said. "The TVA is lying to you." I explained. "Put him in." He said simply. "No!" I cried, before being thrown through the door.

Freyja's POV

"So, you reunited with your little boyfriend. What's the plan?" Hunter B-15 asked. "He's not my boyfriend and there is no plan." I said bluntly. "Bullshit. That's not what Loki told Mobius." She scoffed. I looked at her in confusion. "What, where is he? Let me talk to him." I protested. "I'm not letting you go anywhere near him." She shouted. "And besides, you can't anyway. He's been pruned. They both have." She said with a mean smile. "What?!" I asked, confused. "We didn't do anything. I swear! You know what Loki's like, he probably lied." I reasoned. "Yeah, I know what the Variant is like, but I also know what you're like." She seethed. "Tell me what you're planning." She asked again.
My interrogation was interrupted by Ravonna Renslayer. "Come on, you're coming with me." She instructed, before a guard placed a collar on me. "Oh, and before you try anything; that collar gives off an electric shock when I press this button. So I'd behave if I were you." She threatened.

I was getting escorted away, but on the way, we saw two figures come through a red door. It was Mobius and Loki. "I think you have something of mine." She said. Mobius chuckled, "Yeah, I got all the way down there before I even realized I picked up yours." He said, handing the TemPad over.
Oh Mobius, what have you done?
I asked myself, mentally. "What's going on?What's the problem, Ravonna?" Mobius asked, looking between us. She remained silent, and Mobius must've realised something I didn't. "You know where I'd go if I could go anywhere? Wherever it is I'm really from.
Yeah, wherever I had a life before the TVA came along. Maybe I had a jet ski." He said happily, as one of the guards fired up the pruning stick. "That's what I'd like to do. Just riding around on my jet ski." He smiled. "Prune him." Renslayer ordered. "I'm sorry." Mobius said, whilst looking at me. A tear welled inside my eye and the guard stepped forward. "No." I said sadly, as the tear cascaded down my cheek. Anger rose up in me and I broke free of the guards grasp. "You evil bitch!" I cried. "He was your friend, and you killed him without even.."I was cut off by an electric jolt in my neck. I fought through the pain, and looked Ravonna in the eyes. "You...Will...Pay For This." I said through gritted teeth and tears, before passing out.