“Wow.” I didn't expect that from my Dad. Don't get me wrong, I did know he loved her but he was never one to be so mushy over it, that was my mom's job. He always showed his love more subtly and in the little things he did for her. “How would I know when I love a woman?”

He shrugged, probably not having anything to say. “If you know, you know.”

So helpful. I thought sarcastically.

We parted ways shortly after we discussed my next meeting. When the position of CEO was handed to me a two months ago, I suggested we stick to one shipping company for easier distribution of our products. Dad thought it was a great idea and let me pick which ones I wanted to give the offer.

That was what the next meeting was about. The four companies I've chosen will have to prove to me that a partnership with them would be the most beneficial when compared to the others. It was surely going to be a long meeting but a useful one.

A few of the company heads came with their daughters. It was normal for possible partners to introduce me to their daughters with the hopes that I would take a liking to any of them and my decisions would be swayed.

It never worked. I didn't mix business and pleasure for any reason and if I did decide to partner with those people it would be on their merit not their daughters' beauty.

It was a good thing Mr Mathis was professional enough to leave his children behind. Mr. Julius only had sons, my parent's story till my sister came along.

The meeting went smoothly and I was impressed by each of their pitches but I'd have to take some to do some research before I make my final decision.

I would've driven straight home if not for the fact that I had a function to attend. A business partner of ours was having celebrating his anniversary and I was invited. Well, I was invited to represent my company.

I stopped by at JG Hotels, the first hotel my father opened when I was younger, to shower and change suits. I decided to drive to the venue in my sports car rather than call a driver.

The party was good enough and after wishing happy anniversary to the couple I found my way around the room meeting with people I was and wasn't familiar with.

I was terrible with names so I had my assistant feed me the names of each person through a tiny speaker in my ear. My tie clip acted as a camera so she could see who I was talking to and give me the right name.

I don't know why I was expected to know everyone's name especially the women and older people who were offended when you got it wrong. I couldn't just give them nicknames like I do with everyone else. It was easier that way anyways.

The conversation I was having was cut short by the daughter of the celebrants.

“Hi Oliver, nice to see you again.”

I suppressed a groan at the sound of her voice and forced a smile. “Hi, Alexia.”

Sensing my displeasure, she pouted. “Aren't you happy to see me?”

No. “Of course I am, I'm just tired from work.”

“Oh. Maybe I could help you relieve some of that stress.” She purred, placing a hand on my bicep.

Alexia was a beautiful woman and I knew she was interested in me and has been for a while. Normally, I would've pursued a relationship with her but she was older than I was and also married. I was not about to be that other man in a relationship and I'd prefer a woman I was older than, not by much of course.

Before I could say something to deter her, another voice sounded. “Alexia, your husband was looking for you and he did not look happy.”

Alexia's eyes widened and she rushed away with a flirty smile my way. Gross.

My helper was a slender woman in a burgundy dress. Her hair was dirty blonde and stopped just after her shoulders. She had mossy green eyes that were filled with mischievous as her lips were stretched into an amused smile, watching Alexia scamper away.

She was intriguing to say the least. Why would she help me when she didn't know who I was or what was going on? I wondered why but not wanting to sound ungrateful, I didn't ask.

“Thank you.” I said with a relaxed sigh.

She chuckled lowly. “It was no problem. I was happy to help.”

“Well, your help was greatly appreciated miss…” I waited for my assistant to tell me her name.

“Sir, your hand is blocking the camera, I can't see her face.” I heard through the speaker.

I quickly placed my drink on the table so my tie clip wasn't obstructed but before my assistant, Margot, could say anything she had already spoken.

“My name's Lianne.” She stretched her hand out for a shake.

Lianne, I'll have to remember that. “Well, thank you, Lianne. I'm Oliver.”

“It's nice to meet you, Oliver.” We shook hands and I took the opportunity to check if she had a ring on the other.

She didn't.

Before I could say anything else to her, I heard someone call my name and turned away for a moment. It turned out I was just hearing things but when I looked back to she was stood, she wasn't there anymore. I caught a glimpse of her dress as she walked out of the room. I knew I wouldn't get to her in time and so didn't try to run after her.

I could only hope I see her again, someday.

Author's Note:

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait. I had some problems with my internet but it's fixed now.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and sorry it seems so rushed, I've been so busy lately I've barely had any time to myself.

Questions:

1. Did you like the chapter?

2. What do you think of grown up Oliver?

3. Do you think Oliver is going to fall her Lianne's tricks?

4. Is he a playboy by your opinion?

5. Why do you think Lianne was so uncomfortable?

6. Who remembers the scene Nathan was talking about from ‘Love Me’?

Lianne's POV is coming next. Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment. ❤️❤️❤️

-E