chapter one

chapter one | old habits die hard

two months later

"I don't wanna pretend, we're still friends in the summer

"I don't wanna pretend, we're still friends in the summer. Did you think I'd forget? I said, leave if you wanna."

The gang of Pogues were all hanging out front of The Chateau. Ana and JJ lounged together on their hammock - it didn't have their names on it, but it might as well have. John B sat on his trusty deck chair, Pope on an old tree stump and Kiara chose to seek shade on the floor of the Twinkie van.

"Guys! There's really a party going on tonight and I'm the only one not invited?" whined John B. "Whatever happened to 'No Pogue gets left behind', huh?". "You've got to be kidding me, man? Pope and your boy here are slumming it waiting hand and foot to the Kooks and you're bitching like a little girl," JJ shook his head.

"Are you really bummed about missing out on the party or has it got something to do with the Kook Princess being in attendance?" Ana raised her brows at the brown-haired boy with an air of teasing in her tone.

John B could deny it all he wanted, but the gang knew he was into Sarah Cameron. The Pogues hated the Kooks as much the Kooks hated them, but just like Ana, Sarah was different. She had a good heart and didn't care about where her family name landed on the Figure 8 rich list, she wanted a life of adventure and any excuse to get away from her brother and his manic episodes which were becoming far too frequent.

"Rafe is going to be there too, it's probably better if you stay in the safe confines of The Chateau, John B," Ana rolled her eyes. "Do you need me to come to your rescue, Princess?" JJ laid his hand over his forehead, mocking a damsel in distress. "Really? We'll see who needs rescuing by the end of the night, Buttercup," laughed the doe-eyed girl who the blond Pogue only had eyes for. "Buttercup?" JJ blushed, "That's cute." Pope cleared his throat interrupting the moment, "Are you two finished drooling over each other? It's fucking gross!" The two Pogues just laughed in unison, swiftly moving on to discussing how the group were going to spend the rest of their day.

The Pogues had all ventured out into the marsh to soak up some sun and so John B could catch some fish, although the group knew he was really out on the water with the hope that by some miracle, he would finally see his father returning to the island.

Ana and Kie lay on the weather-beaten bow of the ship chatting idly. "If the dress my mom picked out for me this year is as ugly as the last, I will die on the spot. No joke, the ground can swallow me whole," Kie spat out with disgust. "Ana, what are you wearing? Is it hot? A little red number, maybe?" the Captain of the ship chimed in. "JJ, stop," Ana turned her head back to Kie, ignoring the shaggy-haired boy's mischievous grin and his poor attempt at flirting.

"I'm actually borrowing a dress from the Kook Princess herself." Ana wasn't interested in being a part of the over consumption of clothing and the damage it was causing the earth, so she would thrift or borrow clothes from her friends whenever she could.