chapter eight

chapter eight | desperate minds, desperate measures

"See his hands on my waist, thought you'd never be replaced

"See his hands on my waist, thought you'd never be replaced."

Anabelle Stevens had been helping JJ Maybank study for the last few weeks, the boy was trying his hardest to improve his grades, but was finding it difficult when Ana was sitting so close, her sweet scent engulfing him and taking over his senses.

The two would work late into the night, the girl often finding herself positioned in between the boy's legs with her back against his chest, as she read aloud the pages of his textbooks - he claimed it helped him to focus, but JJ was just looking for an excuse to be near her.

The lovesick Pogue was supposed to be focused on the words, but he couldn't stop staring at Ana's pink lips, they were wet from the words she had spoken. JJ Maybank had never wanted to kiss Anabelle Stevens more in his life, especially now he had gotten a taste of her at The Chateau.

"You got it?" Ana asked him as she finished explaining the difference between a covalent and an ionic bond.

"Uh huh," JJ answered totally mystified. He had got none of it. Not a single word.

The clock was ticking, Ana would be starting her position at Cameron & Stevens Development within the next month, but she was enjoying spending time with JJ. He had shown so much passion for wanting to improve his grades and earn a spot at the community college on the Mainland, she couldn't of said no even if she was due to be sitting at her father's desk tomorrow. He was like an excited puppy, if a puppy liked to drink beer and smoke weed all the time.

Ana had always thought JJ was cute, but seeing him with his face scrunched up and his tongue stuck out at the corner of his lips attracted her to him even more. The feeling of his soft breath against her neck when she would sit in between his legs and read passages from his textbooks was also starting to make her heartbeat flutter - and not just in her chest.

Even though the majority of Ana's time had been taken up by JJ, she couldn't help but think about Rafe.

Since that night on her doorstep, she hadn't heard from him. No texts, no surprise visits at ungodly hours, nothing. No doubt, he was still fighting with his demons, using the white powdery substance that found its way so easily up his nose and into his veins to try and sedate the voices in his head. The slightest inconvenience in the seemingly perfect Kook's life was all it took.

If Rafe was attempting to get clean, Ana knew she would of received a call by now, begging her to help him get through his withdrawals. He had never been able to do it on his own.

Anabelle Stevens was his comfort blanket, but also his biggest downfall.

*