"Hey, ladies," he greeted happily before his eyes narrowed on Sera, "Seraphina, you look beautiful today."

All Sera could do was muster a pained smile and watch him disappear into the break room.

As soon as he was gone, Sera turned towards Krista, who was already staring at her with wide, amused eyes.

"What was that?!" Krista whispered. "Girl, I don't think he listened to anything you told him on y'all's date."

"No, he heard me, he just chose to ignore everything," Sera seethed, "he still wants a second chance."

"Well shut him down, and make sure he doesn't try for a third."

Sera went the rest of her shift with that mission in mind, tensing up and preparing herself to tell him whenever he was around her, waiting for him to make a move.

It was only five minutes after closing when he finally approached her after not speaking to her throughout their shift, catching her off guard by sneaking up behind her with a basket of candy in his arms.

"Hey, Sera," Miles started, waiting for her to spin around and face him. Once she did so, he held out the basket. "These are for you, I made sure to ask around and find out some of your favorites."

Sera looked from him to the basket of goodies and then back up to his hopeful face, her shoulders slumping when she realized what she needed to do.

"Thanks, Miles, but—"

"Go out on another date with me," Miles cut her off, "I'll make sure it's much better than the last one."

Sera began to shake her head. "Miles, I'm sorry, but I-I don't want to go out with you again. I still don't feel that way about you."

She felt horrible when his brows lowered in sadness, but the feeling lessened when his features suddenly turned hard in anger.

"Look, all I'm asking for is one more chance, okay?" He asked, visibly irritated.

The irritation rubbed off on Sera. "I know that, but I'm telling you that 'one more chance' isn't going to make me feel any different towards you. I'm sorry, but I don't like you—and I don't think anything is going to change that." She turned away from him and back towards the countertop she was cleaning.

Seconds later, she jumped in alarm when he slammed the basket onto the ground, sending her a sharp glare before barreling through the kitchen door with enough force to send it flying back into the wall with a bang.

• • •

Seraphina was dead on her feet when she went down the canned foods aisle of the grocery store later that night, her body so exhausted that even pushing her shopping cart was wearing her out.

She leaned up against the cart as she tried to find the exact soup that she liked, the one that her mom would always serve with cheesy bread on days when Sera didn't feel good.

A bit of childhood nostalgia would be beneficial to her, helping her to remember carefree times when she didn't have to worry about stupid grown up problems . . . or grown ups acting stupid.

She should have cherished those times more.

"Sera?"

Every cell in Sera's body froze when she heard his voice.