Chapter 22: Justice League To The Rescue!

Start from the beginning

“Can you superspeed?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, I just . . . I need a minute to catch my breath.” Bart told him.

“You know what?” Oliver said, appearing out of nowhere. “You're going to have to catch it later.” He spoke into his headset. “Aquaman, Cyborg, rendezvous alpha confirmed.”

“We're on the move.” Victor replied.

“Watchtower,” Oliver continued, “Have all Luthor's people cleared the building?”

“The last heat signatures are moving away from the North." He heard Chloe confirm.

“Wait a second,” Clark interrupted. “What are you doing?”

“What do you think I'm doing?” Oliver asked. “You want more of your friends to end up in here?”

“Yeah, I'm voting no on that one.” Bart chimed in.

Clark pressed his lips together. He picked up his own headset and spoke into it. “Watchtower, are you sure everyone's out of the building?”

“100% positive.” Chloe told him.

Clark thought about what they were going to do but knew that there were no other options left. He met Oliver’s gaze, the other man looking at him expectantly.

“Alright,” Clark said. “Let's do it.” A smile came across Oliver’s face.

Back at the penthouse, Chloe watched in amazement as the building exploded. “Whoa.” She said softly.

The five heroes walked away from the building, having completed their mission and now ready to go home. Or at least back to Oliver’s penthouse.

The ride back had been one in silence. He had wanted to go off by himself but Bart insisted he stay with them and he couldn’t argue.

They finally got to the penthouse and as soon as he stepped out of the elevator, he found his arms full of his very frantic best friend.

He hugged Chloe back, happy to be in the familiar embrace. He didn’t see Chloe looking over his shoulder and her gaze meeting Oliver’s.

And only she saw the longing in those brown eyes, the desperate want to be the one being held in those strong arms, as he watched the two friends reunite.

Clark, oblivious to the situation, pulled away happily. “Don’t worry, I’m fine.” He said.

“Clark Kent,” Chloe scolded him, “You are going to give me gray hair!”

He grinned sheepishly. “Sorry?”

She laughed. “Oh, Clark, why can’t I ever stay mad at you?”

“You have no idea how grateful I am for that.” Clark joked. He laughed as she hit him playfully.

She looked at the rest of the group. “How are you guys all doing? You all okay?”

“We’re fine.” Victor assured her.

“But if you’d like to hug me too, I’m cool with it.” Bart offered, flashing her a grin. The rest of the group groaned and Chloe just smiled.