Chapter 18 Confessions

Start from the beginning

Another rumble from her stomach made Brook sigh.

"Your stomach is not gonna give us a moment's privacy until it's full, is it?" Brook asked. Michelle giggled.

"Sorry." She said.

"No, never mind. You missed dinner after all. I'm gonna pound Payton for not feeding you."

"Brook! Payton actually did a lot to get me here. You have no idea how many crazy costumes he made me wear so we wouldn't get caught."

"You can tell me about it over dinner – or should I say a midnight snack."

Everyone was still up when Michelle and Brook went downstairs

Everyone was still up when Michelle and Brook went downstairs. The building they were in was more comfortable than the base, Michelle thought. It was a two-storey apartment and had better furniture. Not to mention it was warmer than the base at night.

"Yo Michelle! Glad to see you're kickin' girl!" Jett said from the couch where he was sitting, making a rock and roll sign with his hands. Reece also looked up from the television to acknowledge her.

"Look who decided to show up," Paige said from the dining table. She was holding a beer can and was sipping from it.

"Be nice Paige. You're the one who was worrying about her for the last twenty-four hours." Leslie said. She sat at the other end of the table.

"What?! No! Why would I worry about her? Pft." Paige said. She scrunched the beer can with her bare hand.

"You guys... I'm just so happy to see you are all okay." Michelle said.

"Aww, that's cute. But enough with the mushy stuff before I hurl." Reece said.

"Don't let them fool you. They were worried sick about you." Brook whispered into Michelle's ear. She smiled.

"I know. I worried about you all too." She looked around.

"Where's Payton?" she asked.

"That guy can sleep for sixteen hours. Don't look for him for another – twelve." Jett said counting the hours on his fingers.

"Shut up Jett, I'm right here," Payton said coming out of a room nearby.

"Heard you were looking for me," he said, staring at Michelle.

"You okay? You didn't exactly wake me." Michelle said, pouting.

"And I'm thankful he didn't. I'm also thankful he brought you here in one piece. Well, almost." Brook said, eyeing her stomach. Payton grinned.

"She's got the appetite of a horse. You should've seen how much she ate at the hotel." He said. Brook looked confused.

"Hotel?" he asked.

"You haven't told them everything yet?" Michelle asked Payton.

"Only the bare essentials. I bet your storytelling skills are better than mine. If I had to sum it up, we drove to Reno, caught a flight, and drove here." Payton said.