My dad joins in. "But don't forget about the rule on dating as long as you live in my household. Your mother and I have to meet him or her first. No tattoos or piercings. No criminal record."

"Please stop," I beg. "Caroline is full of crap, he doesn't like me."

"Jack Rivers, watch your mouth!" My mom reiterates. "Do you realize your sister repeats every word you say? Do we need to think back on the time I had to explain to the principal why little Caroline was explaining to everyone the definition of the F word at recess?"

Groaning, I slip over to the pantry and retrieve a snack bar. This is certainly not the sort of conversation I need to be having when my stomach is already tied in a knot. As if I wasn't already nervous enough, my parents are already discussing meeting a boy that hates my guts.

"I'm cooking breakfast, what are you doing?"

"I'm not very hungry," I mumble, slumping in the nearest chair. The butterflies in my stomach are back in full swing.

"Oh honey," She says, a hint of pity and understanding evident in her tone. She drops what she's doing and comes to wrap her arms around me. "There's nothing to worry about. They're going to love you, I promise."

"Your mom's right," my dad adds. "I was a new kid in high school too. Kids are fascinated by new people from different places. Most of the teenagers here rarely leave the state. They'll want to hear all about you."

"That's what I'm worried about."

**********

The drive to the local high school is short, but with the early morning congestion on the slim roads, it takes longer than I'd like. I wait in the car while my mom takes Caroline into the Elementary school to sign her in and hold her hand as they begin the trek to her first class. The snow falls lightly, barely accumulating on the wet sidewalk, but enough has stuck from previous storms that the lawn is covered by the cold substance. I frown at the white mass, fantasizing that it's the Santa Monica beach instead.

When my mom returns, delayed momentarily by overly friendly parents in the courtyard, she starts up the car and we zip into the next lot over. The high school, middle school, and elementary school all sit beside each other on this block, convenient in a town of this size where the buildings are small and hold few students. On our way into the lot, my mother explains the procedure for me to pick my sister up from her classroom and then meet her out front by the flagpole, but I'm only somewhat listening to what she says. My attention is allured by the mass of teenagers arriving at the high school.

It isn't a large building, only one floor with a couple of hallways and what looks like a gymnasium and an auditorium. Last night, my mother dissected the demographics, ensuring that I am fully prepared for what's ahead. 843 kids altogether, about a fourth of my school in California. Teacher to student ratio, one to twenty. About the same amount of boys and girls. I didn't see how that information would help me at all.

"Do you need me to walk in with you?" A sly grin stretches across her lips. "I can hold your hand, too, if you want."

I feel myself about to laugh, but it comes out as a strangled smile, very painful looking. The butterflies in my stomach have reproduced into an entire colony. My mother rubs my arm tenderly, smiling sadly, reflecting the emotions on my own face. It pains her, I've noticed, to see her children in distress.

"It's going to be great, Jack." She assures. "Just keep your head up, smile, and try to make some friends. Okay?"

I nod, afraid that if I open my mouth to speak, I'll vomit. I slip out the car door and wave goodbye as she pulls out of the parking lot. Alone. I feel lost and vulnerable in this mass sea of strangers. Feeling their eyes and scrutinizing looks, I turn on my heels, almost tripping from the nerves strangling my body, and head towards the school.