Interlude: While it's still good.

Rex sat in the co-pilot's seat of the Whiteblade kneading some putty between stiff fingers with a sigh. The blackness of space stared back at him with calming void.

"Rex?" A soft voice came from the passageway behind him. "What're you doin' up?"

Rex suppressed a smile as Ahsoka bent over his chair to kiss him on the top of the head.

"Just thinking." He said softly, picking absently at the putty in his hands. "Was feeling a little shaky earlier. Couldn't pick up my spoon during dinner."

"I noticed." Her hands found his shoulders and began to knead at the tense muscles there. Rex groaned and leaned forward against the console, being mindful of the many buttons and dials there. Ahsoka chuckled at his reaction.

"Something on your mind? You get shakier when you're stressed." She hummed. Rex gave a long sigh.

"The usual, really. Nothing out of the ordinary." He muttered.

"So it's about me then." Ahsoka said matter of factly. Rex sighed.

"Not fully, but a big part of it is."

Ahsoka's hands left his shoulders. He sat back as she walked around the chair to sit in his lap with her legs crossed. Rex set his putty in the container and wrapped his arms around her, leaning back so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

"Talk to me?" She whispered.

"I'm worried about what we're getting into. I mean, I'm all for over throwing the empire and that. What they're doing is wrong and somebody has to speak up. But another part of me just wants to find a small moon out in wildspace and stay there. Raise our family and let the galaxy sort its self out." He moved one hand from her hips to rest on the minuscule swell of her stomach, smiling as the twins' force signatures pulsed at his touch.

Ahsoka blew out a soft breath, tilting her head up to kiss his cheek.

"Anything else?" She whispered.

"I don't want you out in the field as much." Rex admitted. The comment earned a him a swat on the arm. "Hey! Hear me out?" He asked. Ahsoka grumbled but let him talk.

"I can stand to do missions on my own." He said.

"You already to the Martez missions and take over our dealings with the Bad Batch." Ahsoka pointed out.

"At least on the ground. You can stay in contact." Rex pressed. He ducked his head so his forehead rested against her shoulder. "I don't want to lose the twins, 'Soka." His voice was brittle. "And I don't want to lose you. I almost did with Jesse."

Ahsoka turned so she could cup the side of his face with her hand, thumb tracing the contours of his cheek.

"Are you really that worried about me?" She asked. Rex closed his eyes and nodded weakly. He hid his face in her shoulder and hugged her as tight as he could while still being gentle.

"I can't get it out of my head." He whispered.

"I know." Ahsoka rubbed a hand up and down his spine reassuringly. "I know, Rexie." She let Rex get a few breaths down before she pulled back and looked him in the eyes. "Let's head to bed, yeah?" Rex nodded, letting her lead her back to their room and falling face first onto the mattress, making Ahsoka giggle.

"Rex?" She giggled, gingerly curling up next to him under the covers. At his questioning grunt, she laughed louder. "I love you. If you think I should stay back and stick to aerial support I'll do that. But I'm still helping on missions."

"Ok." Rex said, tossing an arm around her. "Thank you, Cyare." He pressed a kiss to the back of her montral.