❪ 𝟬𝟬𝟭 ❫

Start from the beginning

Ben hadn't seen her coming, and before he knew it he was roped into a overwhelming conversation about his favorite type of grass──he didn't even know there was more than one kind of grass but Mae seemed to know a lot about everything, which was odd.

How can Mae know so much about the things in the Glade when she didn't even know her own name?

What she hadn't realized though, was that Nick was practically interviewing her during the tour, trying to figure out where exactly to put the blonde.

So far, she didn't belong anywhere.

He invited her into the Homestead, where he showed her were the the boys slept—which consisted of only eight. Alby, Minho and Newt included. Nick had offered her his room, considering he refused to let her sleep outside with the boys in the hammocks alone.

"Newbie!" Minho came up to greet her, patting her lightly on the head, "Did you cry again yet? Me and George have a bet, that before tonight you'll cry five times. I said you'll cry six times."

Mae smiled so widely, that her eyes began to squint, "I can cry again if you'd like, so you can win," She offered kindly, closing her eyes and thinking of something sad.

"No—No!" Nick waved a hand in her face to stop her from crying, "I'm not dealing with that again. Don't cry."

Minho complains, scurrying off when Nick threaten to assign him more tasks.

The leader sighed, before grabbing both of Mae's shoulders and directing her into the kitchen, "Frypan," Nick greeted, "This is our newbie. Newbie, this is Frypan, keeper of the cooks."

"Man," Frypan starts, throwing down a pot, "I'm Keeper of nobody if I'm the only one cooking." He responds, with a look from Nick he stopped his complaining and smiled at Mae, "What brings you?"

Before Mae can speak, Nick had said, "I want her to try and cook something. See if she's cut out to be in the kitchen."

She snapped her head to him with wide eyes, parting her mouth and then instantly shutting it. I can't cook to save my life. She thought. Then again, I don't remember if I could or not. Either way she didn't want to attempt it.

"Fine by me," said Frypan, smiling and pointing at the girl, "Just wash what you use."

Mae gave a hesitated nod, glancing at Nick in worry. He simply pushed her forward.

With a nervous squeak, Mae grabbed the pan and. . .

"You burned the kitchen?" Newt laughed hours later. The two were sitting on the grass next to the hammocks, waiting for the sun to go down for the monthly bonfire, "That's hilarious!"

Mae's face reddened, "It's not," She insists, "Frypan looked like he wanted to murder me."

The boy still chuckled. "Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to wash what you used. How's your head?"

The blonde sighed, touching the bandage on her temple, "It hurts. Jeff thinks I have brain damage—"

"Don't listen to him, he got his job the same way everyone else did, there's no way he could tell." Newt reassured.