𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 . . . 𝒔𝒚𝒏𝒐𝒑𝒔𝒊𝒔

Start from the beginning

───💉🪴🪵 # THROUGH HER EYES
❛ be the type of flower that
can still grow back after a
forest fire ! ❜

─── 𝐨𝐨. SHE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. That was always something that came to mind when thinking about Mae. She, newly fifteen, had arrived to the maze five months into the experiment, freshly clothed and just as confused as everyone else ── the only difference was, that unlike the boys in the Glade, Mae just didn't seem to adapt to their survival mindset. Some blamed her lack of adapting skills on the fact that she was a girl, ( unintentional sexism, thanks to boys with no filter ), but that really wasn't what made Mae. . .well, Mae.

It was because she was more or less too innocent, Nick would say. Mae wasn't emotionally detached like the rest of them, she wasn't bitter or angry at whatever was happening. She saw the good in the bad, even when there was barely any good to see ── that alone made them wish to see life through her eyes, having been effected by the Glade the second they stepped foot in it.

─── 𝐨𝐨. NOT ONLY WERE THE BOYS FULLY convinced that the Creators sent Mae by accident, they were also convinced that she came with multiple screws loose. Because who in their right mind would take time out of their day to make friendship bracelets for people she barely knew a week into the Glade, while they were literally trying no to die? Of course, kindness was always a good trait to have. But the problem was, Mae was just a little too nice.

She never stood up for herself, she was too soft spoken, gave too many confusing opinions, and worst of all let any walk all over her──not to mention Mae was so optimistic that it annoying. She was the opposite of a Glader. Which continued to play onto the fact that she was sent to them by mistake. With that, & the fact that Mae was so innocently reckless, the boys found it hard to catch up with her.

─── 𝐨𝐨. WHY WASN'T SHE LIKE THEM? What made her tick? Why wasn't she effected by the toll others felt in that Maze? Why wasn't she angry like them? Truthfully, though Gally specifically would never admit it, apart of them was scared she was going to die if she doesn't toughen up soon. They didn't want to lose her. She was what gave the Glade a sense of home, a sense of hope. As much as they made fun of it, without Mae half of them would've given up a long time ago.

Which was why, the boys had come to the decision that if Mae couldn't defend herself, They'd just have to do it for her. With the occasional push for her once in a while. And then Thomas came up from the box, and suddenly he was able to do the one thing they had been trying to make Mae do for years. See the truth.

─── 𝐨𝐨. WHO KNEW IT WOULD TAKE A troublesome greenie to make Mae realize that her way of coping wasn't a way of living. That the life she lived through her own eyes wasn't her reality? A golden cage was still a cage and Mae had finally realized it──and she was going to do something about it. If they wanted Mae to adapt into survival, if they wanted her to be a true Glader, then that was exactly what she was going to do. She did belong there and was going to prove them wrong.

Mae was going to survive. . . or die trying.

WILD SPIRIT ,, SOFT HEART
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

WILD SPIRIT  ,,  SOFT HEART▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃