Brida looked from his hand and then into his eyes. " maybe for those who aren't left to wait, but for those waiting it will feel like a lifetime." Brida said with a light scowl. "Uhtred gave his word." Ragnar said slowly, "and Khaana gave Uhtred her word. Honor can be lost if it means victory but honor towards someone important to you, to your blood that is an honor that can not be lost." Ragnar told her, his words taking on a stern tone.

Brida cracked a small playful smile, "who knew you could be serious." she teased. Ragnar cleared his throat and removed his hand from her shoulder. "this is..." he muttered. Brida shook her head, "why are you so uncomfortable, you're never uncomfortable." She asked as he avoided making eye contact. "I would do this with Thyra and we should not be like this now." he said.

"I'm not your sister, Ragnar." Brida laughed, "But you are the love of my brother. And the Child of my woman." He reasoned. Brida's smile dropped into a frown. "My mother was killed by Danes, I am no one's child, I am no one love and Khaana is not your woman," Brida said. Ragnar met her gaze his eyes narrowing, "You say that form a place of anger because you still feel Khaana and Uhtred abandoned you. That is all. Be it today, a year from now, tens of years - " Ragnar gave a heavy sigh, "a lifetime, she is mine because I will always be hers." He stated.

"Not if she hates you, you made her a promise Ragnar." Brida hummed stepping closer. "If she returns and I am unhappy you would have failed," Brida said quietly. Ragnar looked to Brida cautiously, "are you unhappy?" he asked. She gave a shrug, "I might be, Uhtred was not who I thought he was, and he failed me." said Brida. her arm wrapped around Ragnar's neck as she peered up into his eyes. "You do not fail those you love, Khaana will never submit to any man here on earth, it is not who she is. I can give you something close, I have lived with her more than half my life." Brida said, she nuzzled her face into the curve of Ragnar's neck and bit at his skin. The nipping was a familiar sensation.

Ragnar quickly created distance, "That's mad." Ragnar barked. Brida smiled, "no it isn't, one day you will tire of her running and realise she has left you behind too. The only one she cares about in this world is Uhtred, her chosen son." Brida called as Ragnar waded to leave the pond. "I will be here then when you grow up and see it," Brida said.

---------------------------------------------------------

In Wessex Khaana found herself staring down a nervous young Odda.  The two of them knelt within the sanctuary in prayer. "thank you for taking the time to pray with me, lady herald. I know battle will come soon, these prayers may yet make me stronger to face them, make us all stronger." Young Odda said trying to hold her gaze. Khaana simply closed her eyes, "something strange is happening here." she thought to herself and they continued to pray in silence, little did the boy know, Khaana hadn't prayed a thing.

"Mind if I join you? I could use a good word put in to god on my behalf as well." Chimed Aethelwold. Kneeling between Khaana and Odda. Khaana gritted her teeth as she listened to him. "another one." she thought. "You're presence here will only hinder our prayers." Odda snapped at Aethelwold. "Is the church not meant for those who need to come clean?" Aethelwold asked.

"bow thy heads and shut your mouths or I will get up and leave," Khaana said struggling to remain calm. Odda and Aethelwold glanced at each other and did as told. A silly smile came to Aethelwold's face, "Thank you god, for this beautiful, if not slightly bleak and cold day...for allowing me to keep my head on my shoulders as my throne has been taken, so sending your lovely herald and Pagan servent to help us in this time of struggle and invasion." He prayed out loud. 

young Odda scoffed inwardly and cleared his throat, He would let the rejected king make a fool of himself, but he would also show that he was the holier man in the room. He made the sign of the cross, uttering softly "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."