36. How to be Completely Inadequate

Start from the beginning

Oh, how badly I needed to hit something. Perhaps Evangeline would be willing to fight with me? I was sure she would be thrilled at the opportunity to pay me back for being so uncooperative during that half-assed excuse for an interrogation.

The only problem was; I had no idea where Evangeline was. In fact, I had no idea where anybody was, apart from the controlling dick in the room behind me. Usually, Rebecca or Simon came to escort me from my room, since I still wasn't technically allowed to be out and about without supervision. I looked around the empty hallway, where there wasn't a soul in sight. Oops.

I don't think anybody could really enforce Elijah's orders on me now, anyways. Not with the stupid Mark on my neck, broadcasting to the world that I was literally on the same level as the Alpha.

Don't abuse your power, whispered some annoying voice at the back of my mind.

Oh, I was definitely going to abuse my power. What else would I do with it?

Subconsciously, my senses had extended beyond the average range for a human. I'd always thought my augmented senses were part of being a Hunter, but perhaps they were a part of my witch half that I'd never quite been able to hide away. My ears had picked up on voices, coming from a room a few doors down from Elijah's.

Well, I thought. No sense in hanging around here. It was probably better if I went and bothered the random voices, anyways. I definitely didn't want to be mindlessly wandering around in the hallway whenever Elijah left his room.

Quietly, I made my way over to the door and knocked without giving myself a moment to reconsider. Chances are, I was interrupting some random werewolves who I'd never met before. But seriously, what was the worst that could happen?

The talking ceased, and footsteps approached the doorway. When the door swung open, it revealed none other than Rebecca, just the person I'd hoped to see.

"Reese!" she said, a smile breaking across her face. I briefly wondered if a smile has ever actually blinded someone, since hers seems like it should. Biologically, it's most likely impossible, but with magic, it's probably happened before. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm bored," I said, shrugging. "And I desperately want to hit something. I'd prefer it be your brother, but my desire to be on the opposite side of the galaxy from him is stronger."

She frowned, tilting her head. "What did he do this time?"

I grimaced.

After eyeing me curiously for a minute, she glanced behind her, into the room. "Well, Evangeline's here, if you want to hit her."

Ah. Just who I was hoping to hit.

"But maybe you should just come in," she finished, opening the door wider for me to step inside. I did, glad to be out of the hallway and just that much further away from Elijah.

The room didn't look much different from mine, though it was a bit smaller. It was undecorated, reminding me more of a guest room than somebody's living quarters. Evangeline lounged on a small sofa pushed against the wall, her legs hanging over the arm. Across from her, sitting on the floor with her back resting against the bed, was none other than...

"Opal!" I exclaimed, actual joy rising in my chest for the first time since... well, it's been quite a while. My friend glanced up, disbelief etched onto her face for a split second before a smile that matched my own shot onto her face. Scrambling to her feet, Opal practically pranced across the room to greet me, latching me into a hug that probably would have suffocated me if it had lasted much longer.