34. How to Prevent STDs (and Pregnancy)

A/N: I don't know what the hell my brain cells were doing, but you're welcome (I think).

What the hell am I doing?

I took a few steps away from the door, hesitating, knowing that if I knocked, things may very well change.

Whether or not they would change for the better was yet to be determined.

I'd stayed in my room for another ten minutes, not moving from the chair I'd been sitting in for hours, staring blankly at the wall as my mind ran a freaking marathon.

It can't be true. It's not true. It's all just some massive coincidence. It can't be true. It's not true. It's all just some massive coincidence. It can't be true...

Anyways, those same three sentences had circled through my head for a good chunk of time, before my denial had run out. The evidence added up. It made logical sense. Besides, it definitely explained why I was still alive. He hadn't threatened to kill me - or even hurt me - since that first phone call when I was still under the impression that I would be able to get out of the city and keep Opal and Kyle safe. I'd failed miserably at both of those tasks, in case it was still unclear.

No, he continuously used Opal as a way to keep me in check. Though he hadn't outright threatened to hurt her since he had Kyle killed, the fact that she was still here and she could die if I made a wrong move hung over my head like a guillotine blade. If I stepped out of line, my head would be chopped off. Well, metaphorically. I assume Opal's head would be chopped off quite literally.

A tug in my chest halted my thoughts.

It's been growing more and more insistent over the past several minutes, forcing me to stand from the chair and venture out into the hallway, where it led me to a bedroom a few doors down from mine.

That's when I stopped.

The tugging didn't.

If anything, it grew stronger, urging me to just open the door and finish what I started a few days ago. And while I hadn't seen Elijah since that... event, I seriously doubted my ability to control myself around him, especially with my recent discovery.

Besides, didn't he want to see me? Didn't he send Luca to summon me to his side like the doting dog he pretends I am? Seriously, do I look like a dog?

Actually, don't answer that.

And while I may be an absolute bitch, it was not in the canine sense. I left him that day for my own amusement. I might very well do the same thing tonight if I open that door, though I strongly doubt that he'll still have patience left over for my torturous shenanigans. 

What am I even still doing out here?

I waited for what seemed like a long, agonizing hour, when in reality it was probably only another minute or so, waiting for my dependable inner Hunter voice - though not-so-dependable as of late - to interject. To tell me that this was definitely the biggest mistake of my life. To warn me of my real mission - kill all supernatural beings. It doesn't matter if you have a supernatural bond to one. The job is the job. There should be no exceptions.