Chapter 17

We had escaped one bad situation only to be put in another one.

Sure, we got away from being eaten alive but now we were stuck out in the open where we could easily be attacked again. Not to mention it was only a matter of time before the ones inside figured out that all they had to do was go back out the way they came in order to get to us.

"Where are we going to go?" Arden asked as she glanced around nervously.

I couldn't blame her either. It wasn't a matter of if but when more of those things were going to show up and we were out here like sitting ducks.

And Arden asked a really good question. Where were we going to go?

It was obvious when we first came into town that people weren't exactly holding their doors open for people seeking shelter. If Arden hadn't found us when she did a couple of days ago we would've become dinner for those things.

"Our best bet until we can find somewhere else to stay is to get in the truck." Cory stated as he glanced up and down the street.

"I thought you said the truck attracted too much attention." Arden pointed out.

"It does, but it's our safest option right now. Just wandering around out here in the open is going to get us killed." 

Cory didn't give Arden a chance to reply as he quickly turned on his heels and started walking towards the back of the store. Without much else in terms of options we all silently followed behind him.

Once we rounded the corner we found a black SUV parked a few feet from the store where Cory was already throwing his bag in the trunk. 

"What a perfect time for a road trip." Arden muttered as she tossed her own bag in the back.

"Mhmm. Think of all the beautiful sights we'll get see along the way." I replied sarcastically.

Arden smiled slightly and shook her head. "Oh, yeah. It's going to be a blast."

Biting back my own smile I turned to my dad and took his bag from him before placing it in the trunk with the others.

"You know my arms work perfectly fine." I'm sure the exasperation in his voice could've been heard from a mile away.

"Yeah, and so do mine which is why I'm helping. Now, do you need help getting in the truck?" I shot back with an over the top cheesy grin.

He shot me a deadpan look before making a show of getting into the truck by himself.

I guess that was a no then.

With all the bags inside the trunk I found that I was the last one outside the car so I quickly closed the door to the trunk before heading around the side of the car. 

It was only after I had opened the passenger side door and came face to face with Arden that I realized that all the seats in the back were now occupied.

I raised by eyebrows at Arden who simply smiled at me and nodded towards the only available seat.

The front passenger seat. 

Next to Cory.

I mouthed a quick "Really?" to her before shutting the door and opening the front passenger door instead.

I dutifully ignored the stupid grins that both Arden and my dad were sporting in the rearview mirror as I climbed inside.

What was wrong with them?

***

We had been driving for around twenty minutes now and I was no closer to figuring out where we were headed than when we first set out.