Chapter 15

"Your dad's awake!"

The moment those words left her lips I was sprinting pass Arden. I rushed out into the room and was by his side in an instant.

As I knelt next to him I quickly grabbed his hand and looked him over.

"Dad?"

There was a brief moment of silence and then I watched with tears forming in my eyes as he slowly turned his head toward me and his eyes fluttered open.

"Hey, Ally." His voice was hoarse and quiet but it was his all the same. A voice I was scared I may never hear again.

The tears that had formed earlier spilt over as I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around him.

"You scared the crap out of me." I muttered into his collar as my tears began to soak his shirt.

I felt him give a weak chuckle from beneath me as he wrapped his own arms around me, returning the hug.

"It'll take more than a little car crash to take me out of the game."

I pulled back to look down at him with a frown.

"That little car crash had you out cold for days."

He waved his hand in the air dismissively. "Details, details."

I shook my head at him. That was my dad. Always trying to play things off so that I wouldn't worry.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I continued to look him over.

"Like I've been in a car accident."

Smart ass.

I heard Arden give a small laugh behind me before she spoke up.

"You must be hungry. I make some mean soup." She winked at me. "I'll get you some."

It was my turn to laugh I watched Arden hurry into the room where she made her "mean soup." After watching her disappear into the room my eyes traveled to Cory who was standing at the edge of the room we had exited earlier.

I quickly waved him over.

Once he was beside me I turned back to face my dad.

"Dad, this is Cory. He's the one who saved you."

Cory quickly shook his head. "She's being modest. I didn't really do much."

I arched an eyebrow at him but continued to address my dad. "I'm not. The bandages and medicine that helped you get better was all thanks to him."

My dad looked between Cory and I for a few seconds before he finally let his eyes rest on Cory.

"Well, Cory thank you. Not just for helping me but for looking after my daughter when I couldn't."

"I never said anything about me." I quickly interrupted.

My dads eyes shot to me and a wry smile formed on his lips.

"You didn't have to. I can tell that you've been well taken care of since I've been out."

I felt my face heat.

My dad turned back to look at Cory again.

"So, thank you again. I'll never be able to repay you for your kindness."

Cory's eyes flickered to me for just a second before looking back at my dad.

"You don't have to sir. I would've done it regardless."

My dad gave a soft laugh. "You can call me Michael."

There was brief moment of silence before my dad cleared his throat.