Chapter 18

After sorting through all of our supplies we found that we'd definitely need to make a run for more food, water, and clothing.

"So, how do we want to do this?" Arden asked as she zipped up her now empty bag. "Who goes and looks for what?"

Cory opened his mouth to speak but before he even had a chance to utter a single word Arden held her hand up, effectively cutting him off.

"Don't even think about trying to tell me to stay here because it's not going to work and the answer is no." Arden stated as she stared her brother down.

In response Cory narrowed his eyes but obviously realizing that arguing this point with Arden would get him nowhere, wisely kept his mouth shut.

Satisfied with his answer, or lack thereof, Arden turned to the rest of the group with raised brows, waiting on an answer to her earlier question.

"Well, I guess you can count me out. I don't think I'd have as much luck as you convincing that one to let me go walking around." My dad spoke up as he gave me a pointed look.

He was right too. He was in no condition to be walking around right now especially when we had no idea who or what may be inside. It was best if he stayed inside the store where it was safe.

"I could help." Marie offered. "That is if you don't mind watching Danny while I'm gone." The last part was directed at my dad who waved his hand dismissively.

"It's no problem. You guys go and get what we need. I'll keep an eye on him."

Marie nodded in appreciation and turned to look at Danny who was pouting.

"Why can't I come with you guys? I can help. I don't need a babysitter. I'm almost ten."

Marie smiled down at her son softly. "I know you are which is why I need you stay here and keep an eye on the place. Can you do that for me?"

Danny eyed the store suspiciously before looking back at his mother and nodding begrudgingly.

Marie gave him a kiss on the forehead. "That's my brave boy."

"Alright then that settles it. Cory, Allona, Marie, and I will go." Arden concluded.

Everyone was on board and quickly grabbed their emptied bags before Cory pulled the doors open and we all filed outside.

***

It was easy to volunteer to go out and help collect supplies while in the comfort and safety of the store. However, once we stepped outside of its safe walls and the doors were firmly shut and locked behind us it was a different story.

I instantly started getting chills and had that unmistakable feeling that someone was watching us.

"Okay, so here's the plan." Arden began, addressing the group but making sure to keep her voice low just in case there really was someone lurking around. "We'll split up into groups of two. That way we can cover more ground but no one has to go alone."

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Who's going with who?" Marie asked.

I glanced at her and saw the glint in Arden's eyes and before I could even offer to go with Marie myself she quickly cut me off. She seemed to have a knack for doing that.

"I'll go with you Marie and Cory can go with Allona."

I wanted to facepalm. She couldn't have been any more obvious in what she was trying to do if she tried.

I turned to Cory, expecting to see frustration on his face but was surprised to see that he looked...calm. Like his sister's clear attempts at matchmaking didn't bother him in the slightest.