《T W E N T Y - O N E》

《CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE》

《WARNINGS: NONE》

         "ONEE-SAN! YOU'RE HOME!"

The black-haired boy sprung to his feet the moment the door slid open. The teen girl smiled, kneeling down as the boy ran towards her. She laughed as he jumped into her arms, snuggling his face into her neck. 

“Oi, you’re getting too big to be doin’ this, Scrappy!” She laughed, standing up with him in her arms. 

“I missed you, Onee-san!” He said. “You were gone for so long!”

“It was only a couple of days!” She said. “Didn’t you play with Naomi any?”

“No, Otousan said she was sick, so I couldn’t play with her,” Shota pouted. “So I was all alone!”

“Oh, you poor thing!” She cried dramatically. “You must have had no one in the world to play with! Well, how about you and I go play now?”

“Neoma,” Their father said, making her turn towards the door. “You should rest. Shota can wait to play with you.”

“Awh, it’ll be fine, Otousan!” She smiled. “I’m not that tired.”

“Your mission was non-stop,” He frowned. 

“I promise, Otousan,” She said, placing the boy on the ground. She nudged him towards the door leading to the garden. “I’ll be okay. I’ll just play with Shota for a little while, okay? He missed me, and I missed him.”

“Please, Otousan!” The boy said, bouncing by the door. “Please, please, please!”

The older man sighed. “Fine, I suppose. But only for a while, Neoma. You need to rest before returning to school.”

“I know,” She said. “I’ll be there for the meeting later tonight.”

“Alright,”

Shota cheered, sliding open the door. He kicked his shoes on before running outside, calling for Neoma as he did. She shut the door behind her before running towards him, making him squeal. She chased him around the yard, purposely slowing her pace. 

“Nemo!” He yelled as she caught him by the waist, sweeping him off his feet. 

“Gotcha!” She laughed. “Oh no! Do you feel that, Scrappy?”

“Feel what, Nee-san?” He asked, craning his neck back to look up at her. 

“It’s coming,” She whispered, placing him on the ground. 

“What’s coming?” He asked anxiously. “Nemo? What’s coming?”

“The tickle monster!” She exclaimed, making him scream. His screams turned into laughter as he tried to wiggle away from her. 

“N-Nemo!” He yelled. “Stop it!”

“Ugh! Gravity! It’s pulling me down!” She said, making him squeal and shove at her arms. 

“No!” He cried. 

“Too late!”

He rolled away as she fell back, rolling onto her back as she seized him. He yelped, laughing out as she lifted him up. He giggled, reaching out for her. He laid against her chest, nuzzling his face into her neck. 

“Onee-san?” He said, making her hum as she stared up at the sky. “Is Otousan going to marry that woman?”

“Juno? Yeah,” She said. 

“But what about Mommy?” He asked, pulling back to look at her. 

“Mom’ll still be here,” She said. “She and Otousan just aren’t married anymore. Otousan is going to marry Juno, and they’ll more than likely have another child.”

“You mean there’s going to be someone other than us?” He frowned. 

“Come on now,” She said, pinching his cheek. “Don’t get jealous of the new baby, Scrappy. You and I will still play! This just means you’ll have someone to play with when I’m gone.”

“I don’t wanna have someone else!” He yelled, tears pricking the corners of his eyes. “I just want you, onee-san!”

“Hey, what’s with the tears?” She said, wiping his eyes. “Shota, I’m still gonna be here. But when I’m away on missions or at school, you can play with this new baby so you aren’t as alone anymore! I think it’ll be fun to have someone else, don’t you?”

“You promise you’ll always come home and play with me?” He asked, a slight pout on his face. 

“Yes, Shota,” She laughed, cupping his cheeks, squishing his face up. “I’ll always come home and play with you.”

“She was what?”

The teen girl turned, facing her father with wide eyes. Haruno leaned against the wall, nodding his head. 

“Your newborn sister was born with the Devil’s Eyes. She is going to take after Juno.”

“Otousan, you can’t let that woman take her,” Neoma frowned. “She’s never going to train her right. She’ll die before she’s ten!”

“I don’t have a chance against Juno,” He said. “I couldn’t take her, even if I wanted to.”

“You have to be the one to train her to use it,” She said. “Otousan, she’ll die if it’s not used correctly! And she could hurt someone else by accident!”

“There’s nothing I can do!” He sighed in exasperation. “I’ve tried to explain to Juno, but she won’t listen. She wants to raise Y/n as a normal child, but she’s never going to be able to! Y/n will never be able to be a normal child!”

“Haiyaku-sama,” A man said, entering the hall. “We’ve just received word from the Gojo Clan. They want the boy who was born with the Six Eyes to be introduced to the girl with the Devil’s Eyes.”

“Otousan!” Neoma exclaimed. “You can’t let that happen! Do you know what kind of things would happen if they did?”

“I know, Neoma!” He snapped. “Hush, girl!”

She backed down, her eyebrows lacing together. She turned, walking further down the hall. She hesitated near a door, her hand hovering above the handle. She pushed it open, looking at the crib inside of the room. 

She walked inside, her steps becoming silent as she did. She flicked her gaze to the sleeping woman, then back to the child. With a single twitch of her finger, the woman stirred in her sleep, before rolling over in the sheets. 

Neoma leaned over the crib, looking down at the swaddled baby. Her face scrunched up before she opened her eyes, bright e/c orbs staring up at the teenager. She reached down, carefully lifting the child in her arms. 

Y/n cooed softly, untucking her arms from the swaddle. She held onto Neoma’s finger, staring up at her curiously. Neoma frowned down at the baby.

“The hell is so special about you?” She scoffed quietly. “Otousan’s new pride and joy. Tch.”

She replaced the child back down into the crib before turning, closing the door as she left.

《CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: END》
《IMAGE NOT MINE》