We lifted our glasses, let out howls, and tipped out drinks back.

Nova took the mic next and stood up.

"I just wanted to take a quick moment to thank my bridesmaids." Nova smiled at all of us.

We returned the gesture.

"I'm definitely not a wedding planner. They made this so much easier and definitely much more fun. The next song is one I'd like to dedicate to my best friend, the girl that asked her family to take me in after I lost my parents, my maid of honor, Skye Mitchell." I was not expecting her to do that, but it was a nice touch to the night. Dancing with my best friend was a pleasant moment.

Nova grabbed my hand and led us out to the dance floor as 'Yellow' by Coldplay began to play.

"You're perfect for him," I whispered, "I'm so glad you're actually my sister now."

"I always told you we were family." What's a wedding without crying, right? "I'm so excited for when you get to do this, Skye. You're gonna look so beautiful."

I sighed, "Remember when we were kids and we used to play make believe with Barbies having weddings?"

She laughed, "Of course."

"Who knew how much our lives were going to change?" I said.

"So much." she smiled.

"Do you wish your parents were here?" I asked.

She shrugged, "I have all the family I need here."

Everyone clapped as the song ended and we returned to our seats.

When our dance concluded, one of the crowd favorites of the night was up next. The fight between the girls to see who would catch Nova's bouquet of flowers as they threw it into the crowd. Nova turned her back to us, teasing us several times with false throws.

Suddenly Dana and Kelsey grabbed my arms and pulled me to the front of the crowd. I was just fine in the back where I had been standing, so why did they suddenly pull me to the front?

Miss Fairweather had everyone countdown from ten, promising that Nova was going to throw the bouquet this time. As soon as we hit one Nova spun around and shoved the bouquet in my hand.

What was she doing? That's not how the game was supposed to go! I stared at her confused and slightly embarrassed until she turned me around.

Standing behind me was Carter. He was bent down on one knee with a ring box in his hand. I glared at him, wondering why he was ruining my best friend's special night by proposing to me. I literally told him if he ever did that, that I would probably end his existence.

"If you're going to kill anyone," Carter nervously opened the ring box, "Kill Nova because it was her idea to do this tonight."

I looked at Nova and she just gave me a wide smile and encouraged me to turn back around to Carter. My hands were shaky as I let him take my hand in his. I wanted to be excited because I had been imagining this moment since I met him - but I felt terrible as we stepped on Nova and Ryan's moment.

"Skye Mitchell, I've imagined how I'd do this day after day and I never came up with the perfect scenario or the right words to say," Carter locked eyes with me, "All I know is I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you please marry me?"

"Yes!" I held my hand out and let him slip the beautiful rose gold band over my finger, "Yes!"

Carter stood up and pulled me into a hug as the room erupted in more howls and cheers. I'd have to get Nova later for putting me in the spotlight when she knew I despised it, but I'd also thank her for helping the love of my life not make a fool out of himself actually proposing to me this time.

The night seemed to last forever, but as the time winded down I caught up with Nova before she was off to her honeymoon. Carter and I walked over to them, hand in hand.

I couldn't help but smile at my brother's little comment to my fiance.

"You know, the only reason I agreed to it is because I wanted you to propose under my supervision." Ryan mentioned. I rolled my eyes at him. Such a brotherly thing to say.

Carter laughed as I pulled Nova into a hug before excitedly showing her the ring.

"I helped him pick it out, dummy." Nova laughed.

"I should have known you were the mastermind." I smiled.

She pointed at the boys, "You think I could leave the guys to handle this?"

"Well no, because I thought Carter was trying to propose to me when he asked me to the ball. He would have never been able to do this on his own." I giggled.

"Exactly," Nova leaned in for another hug, "We don't call him a himbo for nothing."

"What's a himbo?" Carter curiously raised his brow at me.

"All you need to know is that I love you very much," I giggled, "Himbo status and all."

Nova and Ryan made their grand exit. A happy moment to see and an even better one when she leaned out the window and blew kisses in our direction. I let out the loudest whistle I could, a promise to always love her as my sister for as long as we both lived.

Carter wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side as I placed my hand on his chest. I stared up at him with a giddy smile on my face as he leaned down to remind me how much he loved me with a soft and tender kiss.

I was going to marry that man. The man that helped me realize that my whole life I couldn't have been farther from the starting line I felt stuck at. The man who brought my brother back to me several times when I thought he was gone forever. The man that loved me unconditionally through all my awkwardness, shyness, childishness, and even through the moments I felt like nobody could help. That was the man I was going to get to call my husband.

Carter Grayson, the man that would love me with every ounce of passion he had in that walnut brain of his.

"You're going to make a beautiful bride," Carter smiled down at me like I was his entire world, "I can't wait until I can officially call you Skye Grayson."

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Don't forget to vote, comment, and add me to your reading list to get updates on Starting Line <3

May the power always protect you.

If you would like to see Nova's reaction to her wedding, then head on over to @carnationcreation's page and check out (25) Family of Final Phase! Don't forget to add this to your reading list to get the latest updates!