xiv. they always knew

"Clayton." Julia announced her presence to the man as she and Mia entered his hospital room.

"Mia, what happened?" William asked her, focusing on his sister's bruised and beaten body.

"Should've listened to my girlfriend, that's what happened." Mia smiled, the response being practiced beforehand.

"She should always listen to me." Julia whispered to William, the latter nodding in response.

"Very funny." Mia rolled her eyes. "When do you get discharged?"

"Later today." William sat back in his hospital bed. "Can't wait to sleep in my own bed again."

"That's good. I'm sure the rest of the team will be glad to see you again." Julia assured him halfheartedly.

"There's something else isn't there?" Julia and Mia gave each other a look before turning to William again.

"Well," Mia started.

"We want to tell the team about us dating and we want you to be there." Julia blurted out.

"Well that was random." William responded. "But of course I'll be there."

"Thank you William. We'll pick you up later." Mia kissed her brother's head before she and Julia took off.

XXX

"Okay. We have some news." Connor, Zoe, William, and JJ stood before the girlfriends. "We're dating." Julia blurted out, something that had become a habit for her. Connor just looked at Zoe with a smirk resting on his lips.

"It's one day shy of two months. Pay up."

"Wait, you two were betting on us?" Mia questioned them, more confused than anything.

"Oh come on," Zoe whined as she handed Connor a 50 dollar bill. "You two are always on top of each other. You leave together almost every night and come back together almost every morning. Plus, you guys aren't slick with the whispering and the texts."

"And I promise I didn' tell them." William told the two, hands up in defense.

"Wait, you knew?" Zoe and Connor questioned William in sync.

"Yeah, he might have found me and Mia's apartment early in the morning." Julia laughed awkwardly, running a hand through her hair.

"Do mom and dad know?" JJ questioned rather seriously.

"No, but they are coming into town tomorrow and we're going to tell them then." Mia summed up. An alarm went off suddenly. "Until then, let's get back to work." Julia limped over to the computer, being restricted by her lengthy brace.

"That is for me. Sorry. Must have set up the wrong alarm." William apologized, turning the obnoxious ringing noise off.

"Oh, in that case." Julia hit his arm.

"Ow!"

"Yeah, that's how I feel."