Caught in the blast

Marian woke to the sound of knocking at her door. She quickly jumped up, rubbing her eyes. Her friend, Morgan, stood outside the door, patiently waiting for her. Marian opened the door and was pushed back by an icy gust of wind. Morgan quickly came in and pushed the door shut. Mirian then got up, leading her friend to the kitchen for a slice of now freezing bread. Morgan groaned, "Marian, you need to be more responsible. You've let you bread get cold."

Marian responded, "I know this. I'm sorry, Morgan, my mind has just been adrift."

Her friend sighed, shaking her blonde curls. "If the village knew that you were running around, trying chase a girl, they'd shun you. You know that they have no respect for homosexuals."

"Don't be like that. They won't know. All they suspect is that I lose track of time." Marian fully knew the danger of her interests, but had given up on being interested in men long ago. She just couldn't bring herself to it. She remained silent and ate her slice of stale bread. Morgan seemed too worried to talk anymore. She was poking one of the golden ringlets, tears forming in her eyes. Suddenly, she threw her arms around Marian's neck, making her gasp.

"Marian, you've been my friend for my whole life. I don't want to lose you. Please, be careful." Morgan said, sobbing onto her dearest friend's shoulder. Marian laughed and hugged her back, almost falling off of her chair. Morgan suddenly realized that she would soon be needing to leave, and released her grip on Marian's blouse. She said her goodbyes and slipped through the door, running off to the village that wouldn't be as happy without her. Marian stared out into the snow, wondering if the girl was out there. A surge of cold wind sent her back into her house to get dressed and go about her day.

     After a grueling day that consisted of farming, painting, pottery, and sewing, Marian was exhausted, to say the least. Now was her final task: watching the nook of the forest. Marian was so amazed by this mysterious woman that all of her lost energy had returned by the time she got there. She crouched between the trees and waited for what seemed to be an eternity. Finally, the woman walked out into the open, but wasn't alone this time. She had a pack of wolves with her, and they appeared to be very possessive over her. Marian's breath caught in her throat, and it took every bit of her being to keep from coughing. The woman caught a snowflake in the palm of her hand and watched it lift back up to find the others. 

Marian's mouth hung open as she watched this event take place. An accidental phrase fell past her wind-chapped lips, "Wow..." It hung in the air and disappeared, with Marian slapping cold hands over her mouth. The wolves immediately growled and began trudging towards the few trees that served as her hideaway. She looked up to see a pair of icy blue eyes staring down at her, making her gasp. The woman's eyes were mesmerizing, Marian couldn't look away from the orbs that seemed to be consuming her. She suddenly broke her gaze and stumbled to her feet, running off through the heavy snow. She soon realized that the direction she had escaped in was not that of her house. She was utterly lost, and very much afraid. She stood in the snow, thinking back to the scene from which she ran. She remembered the girl's expression, which appeared bewildered, and the end of her white braid tickling her cheek. She remembered, lastly, the eyes which she had barely been able to evade. Marian suddenly became aware of the fact that her entirety was numb, and to the fact that she was laying on the ground. Her world went cold as her vision went black.