XVII (XL). The Ultimate Halberd 🔱

Start from the beginning

"Damn it. That whiny lizard melted the shield I conjured..." Said Sabro.

"The Harpe's slightly burned by the melted metal, but it's still holding up..." Muttered Yanna, "Nonetheless, well done, Sabnock."

"Likewise, Siegfried." Responded Sabro.

"Why did you both save me?" Questioned Asmodeus, "You could've used me as a decoy and attacked it more effectively! You got yourself injured, Sabnock... Why?!"

"Hmph. Isn't it obvious?" Asked Sabro, "If I saved your life in that particular high-crisis situation... I would look magnificently awesome, which is the whole point!"

"As for me, a Siegfried, I cannot watch allies fall in the last second, even if it is fate." Added Yanna.

Asmodeus didn't quite understand the former's statement, but wasn't allowed to question it now.

"Now, don't thank us." Said Sabro, "It is only natural that a future Demon King would be awesome."

Before Asmodeus could press any further, Yanna told him and Sabro to look out as their opponent was able to use fire, as well. The three retreated behind a nearby block.

"Well? Can you still move that tiny body?" Asked Sabro.

"I can move." Replied Asmodeus, "I still have more than enough mana left. I can still fight."

"As for me, I haven't used my mana since taking out the Harpe." Said Yanna.

"Alright. In that case... We're retreating now." Said Sabro.

This shocked Asmodeus, who questioned why after everything they did and what Sabro said about being awesome.

"If you're going to bail out, then I'll just do this myself!" He argued.

"Really? Is that your true ambition?" Asked Sabro and Yanna.

"If winning this battle is your ambition, we won't stand in your way." Continued the former, "But you will most likely... perish. I've learned lessons from my past. I've learned how to prepare for death and I've learned of my own inexperience. I am serious about becoming the Demon King, so I've reconsidered my actions and think them all through. I am proud of how much I have grown overtime! But despite your obvious skills, you are always so concerned about Iruma that you neglect yourself and, as a result, haven't grown at all."

Yanna aimed the Harpe at her friend's throat in question, "What is your ambition? To win here? It's not, is it? Is it not to be Iruma's halberd that will never break against any foe?! Do not mistake your ambition, you foolish demon!"

The Asmodeus heir shared a glare of realization and embarrassment as Yanna still held her blade against his throat. After a brief moment, Asmodeus told them to move aside and with all the mana he had left, he conjured a wall of flames as it was now the best opportunity for retreat. Asmodeus now reflected upon his record that he had been a fool to focus on Iruma more than himself. Thanks to his flaming wall, Carmine Dragon is unable to find them.

"Hey, can't you use your familiar, Kelbie, to help us flee?" Asked Asmodeus while running with his classmates.

"That's not happening." Said Sabro, "I lack the mana to summon him now. What about you, Siegfried? You said you haven't used much mana since taking the Harpe."

"I need to save it for a better attack soon!" Explained Yanna, "Aside from Sabnock's burnt wings, you can't fly, Asmodeus?"

"I don't have any stamina left!" Said Asmodeus, "You're the only one saving mana, Siegfried!"