CHAPTER 5

Mr Okafor was a very hard working young man in his youth. He was never one to be found sitting idle. He was also known to be the clean guy who never jokes with his white shirt well washed and ironed in his teen days, a trait you hardly see among his peers.

He was well respected for it not only among friends and family but in his clan and village umumeri uzoakwa ihiala local government of Anambra state. His family narrowly survived the Biafran war but all through that time little jobs here and there kept Ezeabata (Okafor's first name) on top of hunger which ravaged many families during the war.

Many even came to borrow and he will lend to them. Some he collected back some others he didn't bother to collect back. This nature of his was God given, he will always say and he suprised many because his father was somewhat a "tight hand" in other words "aka gum" in igbo ( not much of a giver) Then again it wasn't the father's fault as the villagers humiliated their family alot out of share wickedness and callousness filled with envy and jealousy.

They were really oppressed among many taunted for no just cause so much that Ezeabata(meaning a king has arrived) Okafor had to take a placard to inscribe in igbo language "Umu uwa giri kene nwayo" (meaning people of the world, take it easy. That is literally saying ) but it implies "show some mercy" some farm lands and properties were unjustly taken from them yet no one spoke for their relief but only a selected few.

Ezeabata had always believed that their surname contributed to their misfortune as he will always say "you replicate  what you are called" Another favorite quote of his is"the way you lay you're bed is the way you lie on it" which led to his changing their surname after the passing of some of their fathers. He changed it from Ikwudinamba(literally meaning people are far from my reach but implies that help or friendship is not within my reach) to Okafor Ikemsinobi which means one who is born on afor day(one of the four market days of a week on the igbo calendar and Ikemsinobi means my strength is rooted deep in the heart) This name he shared with his wife and Children alone but Okafor which is his first name, his wife and children shared as a surname but in full he, especially in his village is fully known as Okafor Ezeabata Ikemsinobi but his baptismal name with the then coming of the white man and the catolic church is Frank. In Nigeria one could be named with almost four names at his or her christening if not more.

All these he already narrated to Echeta while they were driving. This story Ezeabata shared as they made a quick stop somewhere to get some snacks. Cheta was so enthusiastic that he could hardly wait for daddy to continue his story as he likes the bond it was bringing. No sooner than they settled down, the waiter took their orders and he continues

"I remember fondly how my parents almost damaged my upbringing" says Okafor " Food was some how scarce since ours was a polygamous family but we ate something anyhow. Some mornings when we are ready for school, my mum will stand by the door of what use to serve as our living room with a bowl of red oil mixed with salt and a yam bowl containing already counted pieces of yam. You pick one piece of yam, you dip in the bowl of oil and joyfully eat as you walk to school and when you're done,you clean your oil stained hands on your hair. When you get to school you drink water from the newly installed taps by government in primary schools."

"Do you know i made it only to standard six?" Asks Ezeabata
"Wha...t?" Echeta reacted almost choking on his drink as he drops it on the table.

"Yes Cheta i'm not joking" he says
"Seriously?!" Exclaims Echeta looking perplexed with his hand under his chin.
"Many times i threw tantrums when i haven't had enough to eat or when i seem not to have my way." Continues Heaven's father.
"For instance i hated going early to the farm to get fresh green leaves for my father's goats or going to the stream early to fetch water for house use from the stream. The chores was a problem and so was the timing and with little or no food in your stomach."

"My uncle Afamuefula (meaning may your name not be forgotten) my father's older brother visited our house one evening in what seemed to me then like a punishment but over the years i understood it was a necessary training and so a blessing. Dokpuru dokpuru(it means dragging in igbo language) was a pet name my father and mother fondly called me It came from the way i dragged my mother's bosom  when suckling as a baby and that i did till i was almost a toddler as i didn't want to give it up so soon."
They both shared a laughter with tears of joy dropping off mr Okafor's cheek. 

"So as i was saying, my uncle visited and for some akward reason I was jeering with anger which was one emotion i found hard to control then,  Mostly over foods and stuff that pieced me off. On this day i was served something i didn't want to eat. I started the usual agitation, taking advantage of my being my mother's last born child as i always got petting. "Dokpuru dokpuru my father calls out and i walked up to him"
"Don't worry son you're mother will prepare what you want to eat inugo" (have you heard) My father says
"I nodded with tear drops, turned around and left." Chuckles Okafor
"How old were you then sir?"
asks Echeta amazingly enjoying every datail
"I think between 12 to 15 years i can't really remember but i am sure i was in my teens" says he sounding certain.

"Frank! My uncle yells at me. As he prefers to address me by my baptismal name"

Mr Okafor adjusts himself on his chair with mixed emotions that this part of the story gives him each time he remembers. Yes Cheta that is my English name" Okafor affirms tearing up a little
"Are you ok sir?" Asks Echeta concerned. Okafor takes a deep breath and sighs as he forces to stop his tears.
"Yes Cheta i am. Thanks" he says with a smile of relief as he continues
"My uncle raved and rambled that day at my dad his younger brother as though if given a cane he will flog my father. Finally he stopped the the raving and rambling and turned towards me saying, is this how you intend to do something meaningful with yourself. Go in there pack your stuff and follow me. You will be leaving with me from henceforth! He shouted. Everyone one that day including my mother really felt bad but couldn't utter a word as in those days older ones were respected very well and wouldn't be challenged unlike what we see today, where in a family older ones are not regarded except they are buoyant with wealth and/or very educated also exposed. Don't get me wrong but my uncle had all these and much more but would have been still respected regardless of it all". He added
"I get what you mean sir,i am also the oldest among my siblings and would have suffered at their hands if not that God intervened but that is story for another day."Echeta agrees.
"Go on sir" he says.

Mr Okafor smiles and shakes his head. "Well without much ado i left to pack my things as i was commanded. That also took my appetite away moreover it wasn't like i was going to get a bit of what my mother wanted to prepare for me that day to pacify my jeering at not wanting to eat what she was making that day since uncle dearest ruined it all. My uncle finished his meal and thanks my mum for the meal. He eventually talked about matters arising in our nation with my mum and dad for a long while they laughed and shared riddles and jokes just when i was beginning to think he might probably not go with me to his house again because of how relaxed and comfortable he looked, he got up stretched himself told my parents he is leaving and summoned me to get my things to leave. Hot tears ran down my cheeks that day not just because i was hungry but because of the uncertainty that awaits me in my uncle's place.
"Brother"my father addressed my uncle "Allow Dokpuru dokpuru to eat and rest today, I will bring him to you myself later"
"He goes with me now, my wife will will have food for him when we get home" my uncle said and we left as i sobbed till we got to his house.

Echeta i think we should start heading home Heaven could be worried by now."Ezeabata pauses his story
"Oh no!" says Cheta.
"Just when am waiting to hear how things turned out at your uncle's house when you got there." Echeta adds
"Not to worry Cheta we will continue on our way son." Says Okafor.
"It's past 8:30pm you know and you need rest for work tomorrow " added mr Okafor

So they left.