Lingering Doubts

Magsimula sa umpisa

"But I know dragons - and people - really well. Besides, I'm sure Eret can protect me."

Eret grinned. "That's right." He placed a hand on Oliver's shoulder. "I'll take care of him."

"He is the same age I was during my first battle," Hiccup said thoughtfully. "Alright, Oliver, you may go with Eret. Please speak to Reidun about the best candidate before setting off, and good luck."

Eret and Oliver left the meeting hall together. A second later, Eret popped his head back in and said, "You guys have got visitors." Then he was gone.

Hiccup and Reidun exchanged looks. "We better find out what that is about," Reidun said.

Hiccup agreed, so he suspended the meeting and walked out with Reidun, Krogan, Dagur, and Toothless. Outside, he was surprised to find Eira, Viggo, Ingrid, Snotlout, and their dragons. "Hey, guys," he said. "Is everything alright? You don't need Toothless, do you?" His dragon had insisted on remaining with him, and he figured it would be fine for one day.

"No, that's not why we're here," Eira said. "We, uh, found a new member for our group." She motioned to Viggo, who Hiccup suddenly realized was not initially a part of their mission. "We came here for one more."

Hiccup frowned. "I would love to help, but I told you-"

"No, not you."

"I knew you needed my help!" Dagur said loudly.

"We're not here for you either," said Snotlout.

Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Then who-?" He noticed her eyes flicker to Krogan. "Oh." Now he understood her hesitation. He better stay out of this.

Eira took a step toward Krogan, who grew tense. "Krogan, we need your help."

"No," Krogan said firmly. "I can't do it."

"We haven't even told you what we want you to do yet," Ingrid said.

"We need your help to get through to Drago," Eira said. "You're the only one who can do it."

"What makes you think I can do it?" Krogan snapped, his eyes flashing with anger that faded when Eira flinched.

Eira took in a deep breath. "Your story is similar to his. You know what it's like to lose everything... and you were willing to do a lot to survive. You can relate to him better than any of us. And you know him. You can do this."

"No, I can't."

"Can't or won't?" Ingrid challenged.

"Can't." Krogan curled his hands into fists. "I'm not who you think I am, Eira. I'm not like you. I can't do the same things as you. If you want to try to help him, that's fine, but I'm useless to you." Then he turned and stalked off.

Eira let out a heavy sigh. "Well, I tried."

"You're not going to go after him?" Snotlout said.

Eira shook her head. "There is nothing more I can say. I have led him as far along this path as I could. Now the rest is up to him."

***

Krogan walked as far as his hut before stopping. He had heard someone following him, but when he turned around, he was surprised to find Reidun there with a concerned expression; he expected it to be Eira. "I can't do it," he said before she could explain her reasons for pursuing him. "I can't speak to Drago."

"You shouldn't have to," said Reidun gently. "I know what he did to you." She took a tentative step closer to him, and when he did not move away, she filled the rest of the space between them, brushing her arm against his.