16

The two hours that followed the announcement of Stella's death were all a blur for (Y/n). The officers asked him some questions, gave him their condolences, then left. Skyler tried to comfort him, but she gave up after a few minutes of him not responding. 

At the moment, he was curled up on his bed and glaring at the wall with tears streaming down his face. It didn't help that (Y/n) was currently a mess of emotions; most of which he couldn't name.

His best friend was dead. (Y/n), he--.. He didn't know what to do. What could he do? 

(Y/n) curled his legs closer to his chest. Stella didn't deserve this.. 

He wished the floor would open up and swallow him. There were so many things he wanted to say to her. One thing stood out the most. It was him who introduced Stella and Nate. When everything is said and done, he was at least partially to blame. Stella...

I'm sorry..

~~~~~

(Y/n) missed a few days of school, to no one's surprise. When he finally did return, he was met with odd looks from his peers. What's that about? 

He didn't worry about it for too long before he realized he didn't have the energy to care. So, he opted to simply go to class and not worry about it. 

The weird looks didn't subside when he got into the classroom. He ignored them and instead turned his attention to the empty seat that once belonged to his friend. Even if he knew it wasn't going to happen, there was still a part of (Y/n) that was hoping Stella would walk through the door and take her usual seat.

There was one thing that stole (Y/n)'s attention away from Stella's seat. That was Nate. The brunette sauntered into the classroom and took a seat. He didn't even stop to look at Stella's seat or anything. He acted like it was a normal day to him. 

(Y/n) shot him a glare before bringing his attention to his own desk. He took out his books and stuff for the class and spent the remainder of the time before said class doodling in the margins of his notebook.

~~~~~

(Y/n) --who was currently hiding out on the roof during lunch-- leaned against the rails and rubbed at his eyes.

(Y/n) didn't get much sleep the past few nights and he was starting to feel the effects. If he ever got a break from everything, he'd take the longest nap known to man. Speaking of sleep, (Y/n) could feel his eyelids grow heavy the longer he stayed there, listening to the sounds of the world around him.

He didn't get very far in his sleeping plan before the sound of the door opening snapped him out of it. He gave a yawn, but didn't actually bother turning to whoever it was. Said person leaned against the rail beside (Y/n), finally gaining the boy's attention.

He didn't know who he was expecting, but the person who was actually there was probably the last of (Y/n)'s guesses. There stood Lucas, staring off towards the scenery below. (Y/n) opened his mouth to say something, but promptly closed it, no knowing what to say.

"Jaxon's sick, so I came to cheer you up in his place" Lucas said, breaking the silence. (Y/n) gave him a look of confusion. "I thought he was just tired" He muttered. "I did too, but apparently it's gotten worse" Lucas answered, "But his aunt works in medicine. I think he said something about visiting her".

Lucas then shook his head and turned to (Y/n), putting his hand on his shoulder. "But I'm here to cheer you up! Not bum you out" He said with a smile. "Well, thank you" (Y/n) said, returning the smile. Although, I'd prefer to be alone right now.