Chapter 62 The Godslayers

Start from the beginning

Again, his vision thrust away from the scene, back into the sky. The night still held, but the sky became crowded by many purposeless clouds hanging about. Rather, it was a sullen place, a thick forest that eerily reminded him of the Forest of Silence. But he saw nothing around, no lights or any other sign of civilization. From what he could see, it could be in the Empire, but he wasn't entirely sure. The image fell, and down, through the treetops and then the forest floor. He faintly could see giant serpents navigating the area, but it went further. The ground, and then to open space. He was confused for a moment but then realized that this must be some sort of ancient structure still hidden. But, he realized soon enough that the corridors were not vacant. His heart froze when he saw a pair of men dressed like Talin warriors move along carrying a torch. He recognized the insignia on one of their cloaks. But his vision still descended. Was this some sort of prison then, like the one they kept his sister in? Again, the image fell and fell until finally, it stopped in a small and cramp room, a bed, chair, and chest all that decorated it. Laying there was yet another woman. She was asleep, but he recognized the features as a bit eastern, even more so than Shi'Ased. Many questions rolled over his mind, not the least of which why she was here in the first place. But before he could come to any conclusion, the name came: Rina.

Then, his vision shifted. It was a bit later in the night, nearly dawn by what he could see, but the sky looks far more different. The two moons were far closer to the horizon than before, and the stars were different. A massive expanse of jungle, miles, and miles in all directions was all he could see, no sign of civilization anywhere nearby. By the description alone, he guessed that this had to be the land known as Uman, the land of the Umani. This was where Novia was from. But he wasn't near the cities; it was nothing but open wilderness. He could feel the presence of nature intensely, and he felt somewhat at ease with the simple essence of nature. His vision descended into the thick treetops, birds fluttering about in their nocturnal activities, beasts slinking through the floor. He thought that maybe this next person would be hunting or such, but his sight settled on a spotted large cat sleeping on one of the branches. He was confused, but when the leopard shifted to find a comfortable spot, he understood immediately. The beast morphed into the form of a human, and Umani to be more precise. He wore no shift, just baggy pants and cords running across his grey ashy chest. It was a shifter, those born with a gift similar to the Thirians, except far more diverse in their applications, as there is practically no limit in what they may transform into. He seemed young. Very young. Maybe younger than Massia. He had nothing signifying a station or role. Maybe those cords mean something. Again, the name came clear in his mind. Maxx Tioniari.

And finally, the image moved back to familiar skies, and he knew that this was the empire. The orientation of the stars pointed that this was somewhere to the west, perhaps near Mount Kryn, in fact. He swore he could see the indent where the mountain used to be. But it instead focused on a small town amidst the many spotted tall trees that decorated the entire region. The town seemed to be some sort of mining town, several rails laid out headed into the nearby mountainside and caverns. While the streets were bare, there weren't that many guards making usual patrols. He was focused on a smaller building near the entrance. As his vision moved into the open door, he got a quick peek at the place's name; Lucas's Knook. Then, he saw a man sitting just outside the door. Men came in and out in a small burst, but he was undisturbed. He was holding a ceramic mug up but seemed unconscious at the moment. Drag brown hair covering his eyes, no shirt, but thick looking saggy pants and shoes worn with age. The only thing that Lyse found a bit odd was a tattoo he wore on his right shoulder. It was a mark of dismissal, someone who abandoned the army. A disgraced mark to bear, it was no wonder he was in this kind of situation. He was given the final name: Norman E Thagard.

"What do you see?" he asked him.

"Are these . . . godslayers like me?"

"Like you, yes," the goddess said. "They are waiting, all of them. Fate calls to them now, just as he called for you."