On entering the Richardson room, I am not at all surprised to see Rani smirk smugly as I speed walk to my chair.

"Sorry I'm late," I apologise as I pull my chair out. I don't mention the reason as to why I'm late as I wouldn't want to add any more to her satisfaction.

Mr Small raises his eyebrows taken aback by this first-ever occurrence. "It's alright, we've only just started," he nods at Peter who brings up a slideshow on the screen.

"Asha you'll be pleased to hear that the senior prefects have voted, and the majority of them voted for your charity."

Normally I would revel in a small triumph like this over Rani, but this morning I feel so disheartened that I don't even bother to look at her to see her reaction. Besides, she'd probably been keeping a close eye on the poll and already knew the outcome.

"Since we've now decided on the charity, we can now go ahead with the rest of the preparations."

"The senior prefects have suggested we do a Halloween costume competition in each year group again," I hear Fraser next to me.

I hadn't even registered the fact that this is my first interaction with him following the incident. I glance at him from the corner of my eye. His posture is shockingly immaculate as usual. His legs are crossed and his hands are clasped together in front of him. His nails manicure perfect, not a single sign of nervous chewing.

How could I not have known before?

"Yes, as last year's Halloween costume idea was so popular among all the year groups we thought we should do it again," Rani says.

I'm not sure whether she intentionally meant to practically repeat what Fraser just said because it was completely unnecessary for her to speak just then.

I see her staring at me from across the table. I mouth 'what' at her slightly more vigorously than intended.

She raises her hands as if in surrender and then points to her collar. I look at her shirt- is she really trying to flaunt her pink silk Ralph Lauren shirt at me right now? Is now really an appropriate time?

"No, your collar sweetie," she whispers while Mr Small and Peter are discussing the slideshow they're going to use this Friday assembly to promote the fundraiser.

I peer down at my collar and see that it's all over the place. I hurriedly fix it.

"Don't worry, I didn't even notice," Fraser attempts to reassure me. Attempts being the keyword as the fact that his smile is soddened with sympathy is doing little to help.

The second Mr Small says we can leave I leap up from my seat.

"Asha, the PR meeting starts at eight-thirty in case you forgot," Rani struts past me.

I want to karate kick her into the next dimension. I already know that I'm never, ever going to hear the end of this.

At lunch, I sit on a table on the side facing the wall. Today is one of those days where I would much rather stare at the painting of a bell pepper than someone else's face. I scoop the flavourless soup into my mouth and continue to study the sixty centimeter tall bell pepper in front of me.

"Why are you chewing the soup?" Mason puts his tray next to mine then scratches his neck.

Mason jumps back in alarm when I turn to face him begrudgingly. "What happened to you?"

"What do you mean?"

He takes his phone out of s inner blazer pocket and turns the camera onto selfie mode.