Chapter One Hundred and Nineteen - How the rumours affect her

The two girls approached the pavilion, one with her usual expressionless face and the other with slightly reddened eyes, as if she had been crying. The first could point out that she really hadn't shed tears, but kept her silence, just as she would keep to herself many other things that the men before her likely already knew.

"Our Princess, what has you so distraught?" Sagan called sweetly, not hiding the mocking note in his words. However, he was ignored completely.

The girl rushed forward, her long sleeves and tails of her elaborately embroidered top fluttering in the air, creating a somewhat ethereal look. She stopped before the man called Toki, but stared forlornly at the man beside him, reaching cutely to tug at his sleeve. She did not manage to grip it between her fingers. "Ji Ji," she pouted, sticking out her rose petal lips, hurt in her large eyes. "Ji Ji, you must stop them talking. Their words wrong you so badly! Are they not afraid that their tongues will become rotten and fall out?"

"I doubt it," Toki muttered. He too was ignored, but he did not care, just wish this girl would stop being so melodramatic and move away a bit. His fiancée was also here watching and he sensed she was becoming irritable.

The expressionless girl returned his cautious stare, blankly.

Toki decided to move. Of course, that was what the Princess in front of him wanted, so that she could sit beside his cousin and improve feelings. His cousin was also aware of this and an aura of suppression suddenly leaked from him, a pure look impossible to mistake issuing from his dark eyes; Don't you dare!

He coughed and backed down. The man was family after all and it really would be unseemly for him (his cousin) to be too close to a woman who not only did not share his blood, but he was not even engaged to. He would coax Lang Ling later. He sent the girl a look of apology. She tilted her head a degree to the left as if questioning him and he felt he would have to grovel hard later.

The miscommunication went unanswered, however, Lang Ling did also understand that her friend's behaviour was not good for her reputation and decided to pull her back. She ignored the unhappy glare she received as she was dragged to sit at an empty bench and made to sit. The hatred fell from her face in the next heartbeat as the voice of the one who made her heart flutter reached her ears.

"Imari Una," he called her name, but only briefly glanced at the bright smile upon her face as she stared at him lovingly, "I don't need to stop people talking. They will stop themselves, once the truth is revealed."

"But they say that one of the Jin family Uncles is dishonest, that there is a Jin family bastard in the Institute..."

"Una," Lang Ling warned her. Those words should not be spoken from a lady's lips. Una's mother had insisted that Lang Ling guard her precious daughter's reputation as well as her body.

"No one can hear from outside," Una pouted, knowing about the barrier around the pavilion. Her family owned one of the three treasured pavilion artefacts. One that was larger and much more ostentatious. Her father hadn't leant it to her like Jin father had leant his to Ji Ji though.

Jin Ji Xiang shook his head and sipped his now tepid tea before turning to spill it out into the forest. "I trust my Uncles and Cousins to keep to the family's code of honour." He didn't mention his father, he did not feel he needed to. Indeed, everyone thought the same about Jin father, was not the type to spread clouds and rain. If not for Jin grandfather's insistence on his father marrying, then he likely would not have and Jin Ji Xiang would likely not exist in this world.

His certainty killed the next words upon Imari Una's lips. It was not that she herself did not still have doubts, but if she upset Jin Ji Xiang, wouldn't she push him away more?

The Jin family was indeed noted for their small backyards and harmonious family lives, their loyalty to their wives and protectiveness towards their mothers, sisters and daughters were well known. Their code of honour was strict, not only in family matters. Those with talent were pushed to strive, those without were taught to support the family pillars. Tempers were polished, not dulled, minds were widened, not narrowed. In fact, the Jin family sons and daughters learning could also have taken place in this Institute, the Savage Red Sands Force or some other, but for one thing; the Jin family felt that the Den of Wolves that was the Qilin First Academy of Excellence was an an example of the environment they would have to exist and thrive in. If they could not graduate from this Academy as one of the top students, having overcoming daily schemes and tribulations thrown at them while attempting to study, then they would surely be lacking when they jumped out of the frying pan in the future.

Of course, the first point was what had really caught Imari Una's attention as the di-daughter with ten shu sisters, seven shu brothers and a multitude of Yiniang 'mothers'. Having a husband with her alone in the backyard was very appealing. And then she saw him, this potential suitor for the first time and fell for him hard. He was like the sparkling, white frost covering the ornamental trees in winter, the cold moon in the midnight sky, aloof, yet surrounded by a plethora of stars. Her mother liked the Jin family's reputation too, which is why she had no issues probing Jin family mother on her behalf, seeing if there was a chance of aligning the two families through marriage.

But if her mother heard this rumour... about the potential outside son that held the same surname as her beloved... would that change her impression of the Jin family? Would that ruin her chances of becoming the next Madam Jin?

She cursed that Jin Li for even existing!

Elsewhere, a certain lazy youth leaned back sated after filling his stomach with a zesty and fresh tasting meal. He suddenly sneezed. A handkerchief was passed over and a warm hand was placed upon his forehead.

"Are you c-c-catching a c-cold?" A concerned voice questioned. Jin Li felt the warmth of contentment further make him full. He grabbed the hand as it was about to retreat.

"Who knows," he drawled. "Perhaps, if you are worried, you should ensure this Lord stays warm."

There was a slight rustling. "Jin Li! It's the m-m-mi... the sun's out!"

"So?"

Author's note; In regards to the names, as a 'Noble' school, the Academy attracts Nobles from both continents, so there will be a mix of Asian names from the West Xulaphrey mostly Chinese and Japanese as they both have surnames first and Northern half of East Xulaphrey based on my original naming patterns. There's a reason for the Southern half to be excluded. Hopefully I'll remember to add it to a later chapter for clarity x