Chapter Two: Forgotten Love

Chapter Two

Forgotten Love

***

Emma POV

I frowned as I heard a knock on the door. Without looking up, I answered, pulling the latex gloves from my fingers.

"Can you send Oliver Jackson in, please?" I pushed my hair back from face, frowning at the papers in my hands. I heard the door open and someone cough behind me

I swivelled round in my chair and immediately blushed an embarrassing red.

"Oh, hey, Ash." I fumbled with my pen nervously, my lips stretching into a smile.

I watched him smile half-heartedly and shuffle into the middle of the room.

"Are you okay?" I asked, aware of how uncomfortable he looked.

He looked at the clock on the wall before turning back to me.

"Listen, Emma..." He spoke for the first time, rubbing at the back of his neck. "I have some news but I need to talk to you about it first."

I nodded, leaning back in my chair, listening intently.

"Sure, go ahead..." I replied, continuing to stare at him curiously.

"This is really... difficult... Especially since..."

I nodded slowly, waiting patiently for him to speak, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Tell me." I smiled encouragingly,not at all expecting the words that were about to be spoken next.

Ash took a deep breath and sighed.

"Emma. I'm going to ask Amy to marry me."

*** Flashback ***

Emma POV

Flowers. Everywhere. And all colours. Light pinks. Dark reds.

Sighing, I noticed a card leaning beside the bouquet of lillies. Daringly, I reached out and picked up the card.

Dear Emma,

This crazy, romantic gesture is to remind you that I will always love you.

Love, Ash.

"Oh, you are so lucky!"

I dropped the card back onto the counter and turned to look at Amy. She was smelling a lone red rose that Ash had placed on my work.

"Lucky!" I cried, spinning round, not being able to face the flowers. "Lucky. I don't know what to do! He keeps doing these romantic things and I keep rejecting him!"

Amy looked up and bit her lip.

"Call him. One last time. And if you truely don't want to be with him, you'll tell him." She jumped onto the counter and swung her legs childishly.

I paused, then nodded. "Okay. Okay! Yeah, I can do it."

I reached into my pocket and began to dial, fingers trembling. Just as I was about to call, I glanced around the room and ran a hand through my hair.

"What am I going to do about these flowers?! Samuel Todd is coming in for a check-up after lunch."

Amy's legs stopped swinging. She jumped down and began grabbing the bouquets.

"Leave it to me!"

I left the room and made my way to the staff room. I held my phone to my ear and took several deep breaths.

"Hello?"

I stopped abruptly, biting my lip.

"Uh, Ash? Hi. Um...

"Emma?"

I swallowed. "Look, you can't- It's just... We really need to talk. Do you think you could come round in an hour or so? It's, uh- really important..."

*** End of Flashback ***

I tried to digest what he had just said. It took several minutes for me to react. I tried to swallow, gripping the chair and dropping my gaze to the floor. The polished floor began to blur and I was aware of tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I couldn't bring myself to look at Ash but continued to stare at the floor, as if memorized by it.

"Em, there- Ash? Hey! What are you doing here?"

I immediately turned in my chair and tried to focus on my work, feeling the guilt spread like wild fire at her friendly voice. Why do I feel like this? I pushed away the thought and tried to read the words on the sheet in front of me. I reread a sentence over and over without taking it in. I was too focused on Ash and Amy's conversation.

"I came to take you to lunch. I also needed to talk to Emma..."

I bit my lip, fumbling with the papers.

"Aw! I'll be ready in about 5 minutes? Oh! Emma..." I heard her turn round to face me.

"Emma?"

I breathed in sharply but turned. She smiled. "Will Benjamin is here to see you!"

She winked and I plastered a grin onto my face.

Trembling, I stood and kept my eyes on the door. I felt my legs shake. Married. They were getting married. When I turned the corner in the corridor, and was sure I was out of sight, I held my head in my hands.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter about Emma! It's quite long but I couldn't find the right place to end it. I think that the next chapter will be about Cleo. Then the one after that will be Rikki which I can't wait for! It will be FILL of drama! Thanks for reading. Please vote, comment!