2. Lazy Sundays, The Pancake Dilemma, & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Start from the beginning

With a little work, and a huge flour fight, we whipped up a new non-burnt batch of pancakes.

*******

"Lily, can you drizzle some syrup on my pancakes?" Cole asks as he sets the table for me, him, and my Mom to eat breakfast.

"Of course," I say as I open the jar of maple syrup and pour some on Colson's pancakes.

"Here you go," I say, putting the plate of pancakes in front of him and take my seat at the table.

"Lilianna, I said drizzle, not drown," he comments on the amount of syrup I put on his pancakes.

"If you want it done your way, you can do it next time," I say, stuffing my face with pancakes.

Mom just smiles at our playful bickering. I always think about how great she is with kids. I know she would've loved another baby, but I know she loves me to the ends of the Earth, and that's what truly matters. Plus, with everything we've gone through, another child would've made things a lot harder than they were with just me.

"Alright you two, what's the game plan for today?" Mom asks, making conversation.

"I was planning on sleeping in until somebody broke into our house and woke me up at the crack of dawn," I say, side-eyeing Cole. Mom finds my comment funny, but I doubt if she knew the time we got home after the chocolate chip incident last night, she would find humor in my comment.

"First of all, 8:00 is not the crack of dawn. Secondly, maybe if you didn't get home-" Cole starts, but I cut him off not needing Mom to know the time we got home last night. I don't even need her knowing we went out.

"You mean if I didn't get off the phone with you at 1:30 I would've been able to get more sleep. Honestly Colson, I think you're right," I cover looking at him and giving him the death stare. Although, based on Mom's chuckle and eye roll, I am pretty sure she knows something is up, but doesn't press for more.

"Well kiddos, if you need anything go to Jane and Paul. I've got to go into the office today. I should be back by around 3:00 p.m." Mom comments, putting her dish in the sink and grabbing her purse. My Mom is an administrator at West Peterson Elementary School, the elementary school me and Cole went to.

"Okay, Mom. Love you."

"I love you too, sweetie."

"Thank you Ms. Welt."

"Oh and Cole, make sure my baby doesn't fall head first out of any trees while I'm gone," Mom says, slipping on her shoes and grabbing her car keys.

One time when me and Cole were home alone when we were 12, I decided I wanted to climb the Oak tree in his backyard. He told me not to do it, as it was a bad idea since nobody was home to help me if something happened. However, I didn't listen, because I was being stubborn and climbed the tree. Everything was going fine, I even tried to convince Cole to come up, but he went the safe route and chose to stay on the grass. I hooked both of my legs on a branch and leaned back so my head was hanging in the air, closest to the ground. Well little did I know that the branch I was swinging upside down on wasn't sturdy enough to hold my weight. The branch fell off the tree and I fell head first out of the tree, and onto the grass.

"It was one time!!" I say before Mom heads out the front door.

*******

"I'm bored," I say, rolling closer to Cole who is spread out on my bed.

"We could watch something."

"Too basic."

"We could play football."