This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

here's a toast to my real friends, they don't care about the he said, she said....

(or the one where y/n goes home)

•••

"Y/N Y/L/N! Get your ass over here!" Timothée yelled as he saw his best friend across the airport.

Ignoring the annoyed stares facing her, Y/N rushed to her best friend. Having not seen him since her career kinda went downhill a couple months ago, Y/N didn't waste any time jumping into his arms.

"Timmy-" Y/N started, but Timothée soon cut her off.

"No speaking, just relax."

Y/N felts safe in her best friends arms. She'd missed him these last few months, and hated herself for not visiting him earlier. Tears prickled at her eyes because for the first time in almost four months, she felt happy.

"I'm sorry I didn't visit in March, filming was a pain and-"

"Timmy," Y/N cut him off his time, "You don't have to explain yourself. You have a life, I didn't expect you to fly to Paris just to comfort me."

"But I should've. You were going through absolute hell, and I wasn't there. What kind of best friend am I?"

"Timothée Hal Chalamet, it's okay! I had Bella and Kaia to help me get through it, plus my family. I'm okay now." Y/N reasoned.

"Any new opportunities yet? IMG has been treating you rotten, it's only a matter of time before you get a better offer." Timothée asked, eyes glimmering with hope.

"A few, none that I'm really excited about though. It's okay though, taking a break for a while might be good me. Disappearing sounds kinda fun, doesn't it?" Y/N grinned as the last words left her mouth.

She'd been living comfortably as a model for over a decade already, and her savings would do good for a while. She just needed to hide for a little while, stay out of the spotlight and focus on her mental health for the time being.

"You're staying with me, no questions asked." Timothée said as he, reluctantly, let Y/N go to grab a hold of her suitcases.

"Timmy I'm twenty-two, almost twenty-three, I think I can mange being by myself for a while." Y/N whined back as he slapped his hand away from her baby pink suitcase. (It was filled to the brim with all her favorite books she couldn't bear to leave behind in Paris)

"Absolutely not, you're staying with me. And that's final." Timothée deadpanned.

Y/N smirked before agreeing by saying, "Okay daddy."

Timothée coughed out a laugh before swatting Y/N on the arm and saying, "You are filthy, and besides save the sweet talk for Dylan."

Y/N heaved a sigh when Timothée brought up his name. Dylan Carson, her (ex) boyfriend of just a little over a year. There was no bad blood between them (anymore), they both just didn't have the time or energy for a relationship anymore. Well, that and the fact that Dylan accused her of cheating on him. (Which she didn't! She loved Dylan, they just weren't happy anymore)

And while Y/N was reflecting, she came to the realization she'd forgot to tell her best friend they'd broken up, (though she's pretty sure he knew from all the tabloids being written about them) and that they were on bad terms, but they're better now.

"Y/N?" Timothée broke her out of her thoughts as they started walking towards the exist doors of the airport, both subconsciously lowering their sunglasses to cover their eyes. (something that was pretty much useless since they both were so recognizable)

"Hmm?" Y/N hummed in response.

"I know you two broke up."

"Timmy I-"

"It's okay! Kinda glad you didn't tell me honestly." Timothée said as they were meant with the bright light of at least a hundred cameras flashing pictures of the two of them. Questions were thrown at them left and right.

"Y/N! Is it true you cheated on Dylan?"

"Did you cheat with Timothée?"

"Are you really considering to leave IMG even though they pretty much gave you a career?"

"Are you and Timothée dating?"

Y/N tried her hardest to ignore all the questions, choosing to not answer Timothée until the two were in the safety of his driver's backseat.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, letting the adrenaline from the "pap walk" ware off before Y/N broke said silence by asking:

"Are you really okay about me not telling you? I really wanted too, I just didn't know how. I mean, Dylan's one of your best friends and you set us up-"

"Y/N, it's okay. And yes, I'm glad you didn't tell me. Had you, I probably would've gone to his house and punch him." Timothée cut her off.

"See! This is exactly why I didn't tell you!" Y/N laughed as the car started moving, the familiar streets of New York going by in a flash.

Y/N had always loved New York.

Since she was ten she'd been traveling to the state for fashion weeks, photo shoots, and meetings. She used to live in New York full time when she was sixteen, but she moved to London when she turned twenty. Since then it's been a monthly (or yearly) visit ever since.

New York felt like home.

All her real friends lived in New York. Vittoria, Timmy, Kaia, and some of the non spotlight friends (Macy and Maya) she met at her favorite cafe in Brooklyn.

It felt good to be home.

•••

"Okay, okay, please shut up I'd like to say something," Timothée started as he shushed the group of friends around him and Y/N, "Here's to our girl Y/N, and the hell she's been through these last few months. I don't how you did it, but you did and I am so incredibly proud of you."

Y/N gave Timothee a grateful smile as Vittoria bumped her shoulder with her own. Looking around at the table of her five best friends, Y/N felt safe. She felt like nothing could break the magic spell in the room. So she stood, champagne flute in hand, and said the only words replaying in her head:

"Here's a toast to my real friends."