I realized he probably needed a friend. Maybe that was why he had focused on me. Or maybe he was just a good, polite, old fashioned guy.

I decided to go with my gut.

"Hey Steve?" I asked.

His eyes shot to mine, "Yea?"

"You want some coffee?"

He seemed surprised by my offer, "Uh. Yea-I mean Yes. Sure. Thank you."

I smiled and gesture for him to follow me into the shop.

"You look like a black coffee kind of guy." I said as I led him to the counter and stepped behind, putting my purse beneath the register.

"How'd you know?"

"I figured there wasn't much in the way of additives back in the 40's." I said grabbing the supplies I would need. I glanced over to see Manny wink at me from his place near the clean up crew and discreetly flipped him the bird from behind the espresso machine.

Steve leaned his hip casually against the counter and crossed his arms.

"I'm guessing things have changed."

"Oh yes. I'm about to blow your mind Steve Rogers." I chirped.

His responding chuckle had me laughing in kind. I zipped around between the counters, humming to myself as I made him a drink. I could feel him watching me as I worked and I tried my best not to blush under his intense scrutiny.

When I finished I placed his cup inside a coffee sleeve and slid it across the counter to him.

"Careful it's hot." I said as he lifted it to his lips.

His eyes widened in surprise after his first sip, and I held back a smile. His tongue darted out to lick off a stray drop of foam and I waited patiently for his review.

"It's sweet." He said taking another sip.

"Is that a good thing?" I asked suddenly nervous about what he thought.

"Mhmm." He hummed, "What's in it?"

"It's a white chocolate mocha. My personal favorite. During the winter months I add peppermint syrup to it. Tastes like a candy cane."

"It's really good. Very different from what I'm used to. I may have to make use of Tony's fancy coffee machine at the tower after all." He added something under his breath at the end of his sentence that I didn't quite catch.

"What was that?" I asked.

Steve's face colored and I couldn't help but giggle at his expression, his face and ears turning red.

"I said if only I could figure out how to use the damn thing."

"I'm guessing it's not just your standard coffee machine?" I teased.

"No. Not at all. It's huge and it has all these buttons. Why does everything have so many buttons in this century? What's wrong with a good old fashioned switch?"

"Hm. I never really thought about that before." I laughed, "I'm sure he probably has an fancy espresso machine, it's not too hard once you figure it out."

"I don't even know where to begin."

I stopped for a moment to consider him. He was still drinking his mocha in between sentences, and I had to admit I was enjoying talking to him. For some reason I felt comfortable with him, even though we were practically strangers. Even though we were from different times.

I couldn't deny I wanted to get to know him more.

"I could always come over and show you."

"Really?"

"Yea why not?"

"I probably have to talk to Tony about getting you clearance to the Tower."

"I promise I'm not a bank robber or anything. My record should be clear. As far as I know I haven't done anything illegal." I laughed.

Steve smiled at me then and it was contagious. I returned his grin.

"I'm sure we can figure something out." He responded.

"Well, let me give you my number so you can let me know." I said pulling out my phone, I looked up at Steve and smirked at his embarrassed expression, "You do have a phone right?"

"Yea. Tony gave me one. But I gotta be honest I don't know how to use it."

"Ok. We will just add that to the list of things to teach you when I visit." I laughed, "Hand it over I'll add my contact for you."

When he placed the thin chunk of glass and metal into my hands I marveled at the piece of technology.

"Damn. This is fancy."

"Tony said it's a "Stark Phone""

After a moment of trying to figure out how to open the device I realized it had facial recognition software locking me out, I held the screen up to Steve's face.

"Smile."

"Welcome Captain Rogers." A robotic voice with an accent spoke from the phones speaker.

"Woah." I muttered navigating to the contact list and entering in my number. Then I quickly sent myself a text and handed Steve back his phone.

"There! Should be good to go." I smiled.

"Thank you," He replied taking another sip of his drink. I found my eyes following the movement of the cup to his lips and forced my attention away. By this point the workers had started installing the window and Manny was watching anxiously from his spot near the front. I glance back at Steve.

"I should get started on cleanup." I said.

"Of course. I'll get out of your way."

"Ok. I'll talk to you later?" I asked, hopeful.

"Yea—Yes. Looking forward to it." Steve said and then saluted me with his coffee cup. He turned to leave and I began cleaning up after myself.

"Wren?" He called and I liked the way he said my name.

"Yea?" I asked.

"Thanks for the coffee."

"Anytime."

....

That was a week ago. I haven't heard from Steve again. He's probably busy with Avengers business. That's what they are calling his team, and rumor has it Tony Stark is rebranding his own tower. Using it as a base of shorts for the group of misfit superhero's. I guess they are all living there now, not just Steve.

Coffee shop is back up and running. I keep looking up at the door when the bell rings expecting him to walk in. I wonder if he's thought about me as much as I have him the past week.

Probably not.

-Wren

P.S. I just got a text.

Hi Wren. It's Steve. I'm sorry I haven't contacted you. I was hoping you could come to the Tower to help with the coffee machine tomorrow. I've been craving that mocha, and so far all I've be able to make has been pretty awful. Let me know if that works for you. I can pick you up.
Hope you are well;
Steve Rogers.