Chapter 16 Hot Pursuit

Start from the beginning

"Hmm... that's odd. Where could it be?" she tried to think of the last time she had it.

"I wonder if it fell out in my bag..." she got down on her knees and unzipped her bag which she had just packed. Payton came in and saw her.

"Michelle? What are you looking for?"

"I can't find my ID card... I only have my passport and driver's license." Payton remained silent. Michelle looked up and saw his face was tense.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Did you have it when you arrived here?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. I never checked all my stuff."

"That's not good."

"Why?"

"That means there's a chance you might have left it in your car."

"Oh. But my car was blown up so... I guess it's long gone." Payton didn't look convinced.

"Hmm. Maybe... Did you finish packing everything else?"

"Yes, all I have is that bag. Should I get anything for the others?"

"No, they all have emergency backpacks in their cars. They'll survive." Michelle understood the unspoken question which hung in the air - whether they survived in the first place.

"Our flight is at eight-thirty tomorrow morning. We'll be out of here at four." Payton said.

"Okay. Do you have to pack anything?"

"I'll take care of that myself." He saw her yawn.

"You should get some rest. You've had a long day."

"You too," Michelle said. "Did you eat anything?"

"I'm not hungry. Go to bed. I'll wake you before it's time to leave."

"Okay. Goodnight Payton." Michelle went to her bunk and lay down. It was hard to believe that only twenty-four hours ago the whole crew and she were together partying and playing games. She yawned again. Whatever was waiting ahead, she was too tired to think about it now.

"Michelle... Michelle, wake up. It's time to go." Michelle stirred and opened her eyes. She felt Payton shaking her arm.

"Get dressed. We'll leave in fifteen." He said. He turned to go but turned his head to say something.

"Wear the jacket I gave you," he instructed and left. Michelle yawned and checked the luminescent hands of her watch. It showed three forty-five. She had barely slept for a few hours. She was beginning to think even that was a luxury. She quickly got out of bed, washed, and dressed. Payton's jacket was stylish – and warm. She admired herself in the mirror for a second. She had never worn leather before. She packed a bottle of water and a couple of ham and cheese sandwiches for her and Payton, just in case. It was better to be prepared; who knew when their next meal would be.

"Ready?" Payton asked as she came out. She checked her high-top sneaker laces and nodded.

"Ready." Payton's eyes flickered to her jacket with a look of admiration.

"You look nice in it," Payton said. Michelle gave a smile.

"Are you checking me out?" She teased. His eyelids lowered in a way that made Michelle's cheeks warm.

"You're the one looking sexier than I ever did in leather." He said. Michelle looked away feeling embarrassed.

"Oh stop." She said. He turned off all the lights and got in the car. Michelle took a quick glance around wondering when she'd see the base again.