Chapter 15

A strange flutter in my chest was constant since Loki had left, nervousness, excitement and fear all pushing at each other.

Everything in me wanted to believe him, I really did but the heartache he had caused gave me reason to pause. Even if it wasn't directly his fault, a promise was still broken.

Letting my head flop down onto the table with a soft thud, I just lie there for a while with my eyes closed, listening to the sound of my own heart beat and letting my mind calm.

A soft tapping makes me jump, lifting my head up I blink at the light, finding Steve in the doorway.

"Sorry if I woke you."

"Don't worry I was awake anyway, just trying to get some peace."

He rubs the back of his neck, looking uncomfortable. "I can leave you alone if you would prefer"

"No that's okay" I pat the table, inviting him to join you.

He walks over and pulls a chair out, turning his body to face me but stays quiet for a while.

"Are you going to say anything or are we just going to sit in silence?" I joke with him, trying to break at whatever he's here for.

With a sigh he clasps his hands in front of him. "I wanted to apologise to you. I know we haven't always gotten along, I also know I'm to blame for that... But what you do for Buck, what you've done for him..."

"I did it because he's a good person underneath everything they did to him. He doesn't deserve to suffer with it"

He gives me a knowing smile. "I know that, but I wanted to thank you. He's my best friend and for such a long time, I though I'd lost him. You helped bring him back to himself so again, thank you."

Giving him a nod I stand up and put a hand on his shoulder. "You don't have to thank me Steve but I appreciate the reason you have"

Squeezing his shoulder gently I let go and move towards the doorway.

"You should give him another chance you know"

I stop moving, leaning a hand on the doorframe and looking over my shoulder.

"He hasn't stopped watching you or following you around since he got back"

"He does not follow me Steve, you must be seeing things" I roll your eyes at him and start moving again, still in earshot.

"You don't see it because you are too focused on what's in front of you"

Pushing what he's said to the back of my mind continue walking back to the main area but about halfway back I can't help but look over my shoulder. No one is in sight but I still feel like I'm being watched.

I stand still for a moment and close my eyes, taking a deep breath I try to create a link with anyone nearby, to find their positions.

Faintly I can feel Steve walking in my direction but no one else is behind me.

Opening my eyes and feeling stupid I cut of the attempted links and continue walking back at a leisurely pace. Scolding myself whenever I had the urge to check over my shoulder, my mind feeding into what Steve had said.

Getting back to the living area I find everyone has spread out, Tony and Thor are talking at the bar, Loki is sat on one of the couches reading silently while Bucky sits opposite him, entranced into the TV, a tub of ice cream in his hand and a spoon hanging from his mouth. 

I feel Steve behind me and turn your head to look at him. 

"Hey, Steve" I call quietly, being careful not to draw attention. He pauses beside me looking down, a raised eyebrow in question.