Ch. 38

"What is this?" Arysa breathed.

Serden took in a shuddering breath and was at her side in an instant, his fingers peeling hers away from the wound so he could examine it. He didn't say a word.

"Serden, what is this?!" Arysa's eyes were wild.

He just shook his head. His fingers touched the cut and she felt a tingle spread through her shoulder as he healed it. He sat back on his heels and his eyes met hers.

"What did you do?" He exhaled.

His eyes were wide with shock and disbelief, and fear--there was so much fear in his gaze.

"I didn't--" Arysa started and his eyes narrowed, his fingers curling into fists. She stopped.

"Tell me what you did, Arysa." He ordered.

She shook her head and tried to crawl backwards, but his fingers wrapped around her ankle, halting her cold.

"I can help you." His voice was suddenly soft. He pulled her back towards him and reached out to cup her face in his hand.

Her heart pounded in her chest. The buzz in her head was only growing louder. She felt faint.

"I don't--" His fingers tightened around her jaw and her eyes flit down.

"Tell me the truth." He hissed.

His rapid mood changes made her dizzy.

"I--" She started, and winced as another burning pain shot through her. "I need--to go."

"No." He snapped. "You're not leaving until you answer me. What. Did. You. Do?"

She shook her head, tears pricking the backs of her eyes from the pain. "I can't."

"Why not?" His heavy eyes bored into hers.

She tried to get to her feet, but the burning in her veins made every move agonizing and before she realized it she was falling. Serden caught her and laid her back against his chest. She pushed away and his hands encircled her wrists, crossing her arms over her chest and pinning her against him.

"Because then you'll try to stop me." She whispered.

His grip tightened. "Arysa," He said lowly, "whatever you've done is going to kill you." He took in a sharp breath and pulled her closer to him. "Tell me what you did and I can save you."

"I don't need you." She gasped. "I can save myself. Just--let me--go--"

He scoffed. "Not going to happen."

"Then you're the one killing me." Arysa sneered.

He stiffened, but didn't respond.

Arysa was growing weaker with every second and the burn was growing stronger. She didn't have long. But she couldn't get away from him. She couldn't get to the woods. She couldn't get to Regan.

She was running out of options.

She clenched her eyes shut. She couldn't tell him. He'd destroy everything she'd worked so hard for. He'd stop her. He'd put an end to their last hope. She couldn't tell him.

"Serden, please," She begged.

"Don't--" He started just as her bedroom door slammed open. Both their heads snapped towards it. Regan, Lara, and Kryssa stood in the doorway, their lips pressed tight together, their eyes focused. A sword hung casually from Regan's fingers.

"Let go of Arysa." Regan ordered lowly.

Serden's eyes narrowed. "No."

The sword lifted so that its tip hovered just a foot away from Serden's nose.